IRS Chief Counsel Honors Program and Summer Legal Program

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
astar

IRS Chief Counsel Honors Program and Summer Legal Program

Postby astar » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:31 pm

I am deciding between University of Miami and University of Florida to enter in the fall (c/o 2018).

Does anyone know how competitive it is to get into the IRS Office of Chief Counsel program? Do I have a shot at it with going to either one of these schools?

Any advice is appreciated.

drunkewok28

Re: IRS Chief Counsel Honors Program and Summer Legal Program

Postby drunkewok28 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:33 am

I attend UF Law. A fellow student and friend of mine participated in the Summer Legal Program at the Jax branch last summer. He enjoyed it. UF Law has outstanding tax professors, several of whom I have taken classes with. I don't really know much about Miami's tax stature, but UF has one of the top five tax programs in the country. It's also substantially cheaper than Miami at sticker price. Gainesville sucks though, so that's a bit of a draw back.

If you want to work for the IRS post-grad in the Office of the Chief Counsel, you're probably better off pursuing an LLM in tax first. It's difficult to get that job without it but not impossible.

astar

Re: IRS Chief Counsel Honors Program and Summer Legal Program

Postby astar » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:51 am

drunkewok28 wrote:I attend UF Law. A fellow student and friend of mine participated in the Summer Legal Program at the Jax branch last summer. He enjoyed it. UF Law has outstanding tax professors, several of whom I have taken classes with. I don't really know much about Miami's tax stature, but UF has one of the top five tax programs in the country. It's also substantially cheaper than Miami at sticker price. Gainesville sucks though, so that's a bit of a draw back.

If you want to work for the IRS post-grad in the Office of the Chief Counsel, you're probably better off pursuing an LLM in tax first. It's difficult to get that job without it but not impossible.

Yes, I plan to pursue an LLM in Taxation. Miami's tax program is about 10th. You are correct. UF's tax program, according to various rankings, is 2 or 3 in the country. However, at Miami they offer a joint program to get the JD/LLM in 7 semesters. I'm in no rush and could always just apply to the 1 year LLM at UF from Miami. I just really want that Summer Legal Program position and transition it into full time upon graduation as I hear is popular.

I'd prefer to be in Miami and a significant scholarship offer I have from UM makes it just a tad more expensive than UF when cost of living comes into play (I live in Miami already).

Thanks for your comments!

Return to “Legal Employment”