3LOLOCI - South FL Biglaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273153
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

3LOLOCI - South FL Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:18 pm

Hi. Going to be at a South FL mid law firm (think Gunster, B&C, Greenspoon), but looking to target Biglaw firms in South FL during June (via mass mail).

Is it alright to mass mail for firm jobs while SA'ing at another local firm?

Im median T-14, born and raised in South FL, went to school in South FL

Anonymous User
Posts: 273153
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3LOLOCI - South FL Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:58 pm

I'm a 3L graduating this spring who SAed but was actively looking to move in 3L OCI. I would not send anything, particularly in a smaller market like this, until you have an offer in hand. 3L hiring is on a slow, weird timeline anyway and I suspect that South FL will move even slower. There's no rush to get anything in June.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273153
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3LOLOCI - South FL Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:03 pm

OP here. Could you expand on why not to send emails until an offer is in hand? Ive heard that before, but not really sure of the reason (unless its merely that my firm may no-offer me if it finds out I'm trying to dip /out)

User avatar
Actus Reus
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:21 pm

Re: 3LOLOCI - South FL Biglaw

Postby Actus Reus » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:53 pm

Nonsense. Send it out in mid July regardless. Firms don't care if you are waiting for an offer - if you get no offered then they're concerned. Don't miss the boat due to waiting . Also don't let your firm find out if it's midlaw. Might be more sensitive.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273153
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3LOLOCI - South FL Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Could you expand on why not to send emails until an offer is in hand? Ive heard that before, but not really sure of the reason (unless its merely that my firm may no-offer me if it finds out I'm trying to dip /out)


I'm 1st anon. I probably overstated it. It's better to say don't send until it's close enough to the firm deciding that you're confident it won't get back to any attorneys. For me, that would not be in June in a smaller legal market. I also don't think it would be realistic (or wise) to try and interview during your SA. Firms and recruiters are busy running their own summer programs and are unlikely to respond. Basically, I just think it's all risk and no reward. I'd be particularly worried if your firm doesn't offer 100% because obviously if they find out one person's trying to leave then that's an easy person to ding.

Actus Reus wrote:Nonsense. Send it out in mid July regardless. Firms don't care if you are waiting for an offer - if you get no offered then they're concerned. Don't miss the boat due to waiting . Also don't let your firm find out if it's midlaw. Might be more sensitive.


I definitely agree with your point that firms don't care if you haven't gotten the offer yet. Some firms asked if I had an offer and some didn't. I would wait until the program is wrapping up though because, as you point out, it could be very bad if a OP's firm found that out. And I just don't think there's any boat to miss. Are these firms going to be interviewing 2Ls during their summer program? Could/Should OP actually go to an interview? I just suggest waiting until the summer is wrapping up.

User avatar
Actus Reus
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:21 pm

Re: 3LOLOCI - South FL Biglaw

Postby Actus Reus » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Could you expand on why not to send emails until an offer is in hand? Ive heard that before, but not really sure of the reason (unless its merely that my firm may no-offer me if it finds out I'm trying to dip /out)


I'm 1st anon. I probably overstated it. It's better to say don't send until it's close enough to the firm deciding that you're confident it won't get back to any attorneys. For me, that would not be in June in a smaller legal market. I also don't think it would be realistic (or wise) to try and interview during your SA. Firms and recruiters are busy running their own summer programs and are unlikely to respond. Basically, I just think it's all risk and no reward. I'd be particularly worried if your firm doesn't offer 100% because obviously if they find out one person's trying to leave then that's an easy person to ding.

Actus Reus wrote:Nonsense. Send it out in mid July regardless. Firms don't care if you are waiting for an offer - if you get no offered then they're concerned. Don't miss the boat due to waiting . Also don't let your firm find out if it's midlaw. Might be more sensitive.


I definitely agree with your point that firms don't care if you haven't gotten the offer yet. Some firms asked if I had an offer and some didn't. I would wait until the program is wrapping up though because, as you point out, it could be very bad if a OP's firm found that out. And I just don't think there's any boat to miss. Are these firms going to be interviewing 2Ls during their summer program? Could/Should OP actually go to an interview? I just suggest waiting until the summer is wrapping up.


thats more fair. I agree the tail end of the program is fair but not necessary to wait for the offer.

mvp99
Posts: 1384
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: 3LOLOCI - South FL Biglaw

Postby mvp99 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:46 am

south florida big law lol doesn't it that even exist? how many openings per year? good luck though

User avatar
alicrimson
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: 3LOLOCI - South FL Biglaw

Postby alicrimson » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi. Going to be at a South FL mid law firm (think Gunster, B&C, Greenspoon), but looking to target Biglaw firms in South FL during June (via mass mail).

Is it alright to mass mail for firm jobs while SA'ing at another local firm?

Im median T-14, born and raised in South FL, went to school in South FL


If you're at Gunster in SoFlo, you're probably competitive enough for the Biglaw gigs. I did SoFlo biglaw (think: Greenberg Traurig, Holland & Knight, White & Case) and the Gunster kids have similar resumes. If you're at B&C or Greenspoon, I don't think the resumes are quite as comparable (based on those I know there), but it's worth a shot. FWIW, I didn't return to my biglaw summer gig. Went to a smaller, but still national big firm with a better QOL. Switching firms can definitely be done.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273153
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3LOLOCI - South FL Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:52 pm

OP, if the firm is greenspoon, definitely don't wait to apply elsewhere. They rarely, if ever, give offers to summer associates.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273153
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3LOLOCI - South FL Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP, if the firm is greenspoon, definitely don't wait to apply elsewhere. They rarely, if ever, give offers to summer associates.


FYI, the day I accepted my 2L summer OCI offer, I had a screener scheduled with Greespoon. I was told to go anyways. I informed the interviewer I was accepting another offer at noon that day, and the interviewer basically told me that they weren't going long term with any of their summers. I know the two that summered there that year, both are not currently employed as associates there. Did not get into whether it was a no offer situation, but I know those two are not there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273153
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3LOLOCI - South FL Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP, if the firm is greenspoon, definitely don't wait to apply elsewhere. They rarely, if ever, give offers to summer associates.


Not OP

Source?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273153
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3LOLOCI - South FL Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP, if the firm is greenspoon, definitely don't wait to apply elsewhere. They rarely, if ever, give offers to summer associates.


Not OP

Source?


Post under your user name and I'll shoot you a pm. I just don't want to out myself, it's not a huge firm and the market is small

Anonymous User
Posts: 273153
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3LOLOCI - South FL Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:23 pm

For SoFla biglaw and i guess any other biglaw 3L.. do y'all think it's better to wait 'til August-ish when firms are interviewing 2Ls, earlier, or later, to massmail?

User avatar
Frank Grimes
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:29 am

Re: 3LOLOCI - South FL Biglaw

Postby Frank Grimes » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP, if the firm is greenspoon, definitely don't wait to apply elsewhere. They rarely, if ever, give offers to summer associates.


Not OP

Source?


Post under your user name and I'll shoot you a pm. I just don't want to out myself, it's not a huge firm and the market is small

Anonymous User
Posts: 273153
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3LOLOCI - South FL Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For SoFla biglaw and i guess any other biglaw 3L.. do y'all think it's better to wait 'til August-ish when firms are interviewing 2Ls, earlier, or later, to massmail?


I have no clue about SoFla but general 3L strategy would be to apply as your summer program is ending so they can interview you as/just after their summer program ends but before they're in full OCI mode.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.