USAO Background Check last minute issues?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

USAO Background Check last minute issues?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:38 pm

I know the actual USAO/DOJ background check has been discussed quite a bit on this forum and the consensus is that getting cleared takes at least 1-2 months, but I was just wondering if anyone had the experience of getting to late April/May and then getting notification that you did NOT pass the security clearance/background check. If this was your situation, what did you do for your 1L summer job? In other words, did anyone get such late notice that they had failed the clearance that it screwed them for 1L summer?

Don't think I have reason to fail the background check, but I'm curious to see if this situation has happened.

Sirius Blackstone

Re: USAO Background Check last minute issues?

Postby Sirius Blackstone » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know the actual USAO/DOJ background check has been discussed quite a bit on this forum and the consensus is that getting cleared takes at least 1-2 months, but I was just wondering if anyone had the experience of getting to late April/May and then getting notification that you did NOT pass the security clearance/background check. If this was your situation, what did you do for your 1L summer job? In other words, did anyone get such late notice that they had failed the clearance that it screwed them for 1L summer?

Don't think I have reason to fail the background check, but I'm curious to see if this situation has happened.

Sometimes it takes longer than they expect, so don't worry.

You won't be in a situation where the background check takes a long time then comes back denied and leaves you in the lurch. They will contact you about any issues with your background check and ask you to explain them. Unless you did something like fail to disclose a felony or take money from Abramoff you will be able to resolve any issues through writing addendums and then you'll be cleared.

The OPM check you're going through for a USAO internship is the lowest level of clearance, and the most important thing is just that they know about you, they're not parsing your character too closely.

Jaymore

Postby Jaymore » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:55 pm

I had to miss the first month of my summer there because the background check took four months.

There was nothing unusual about my background. Never done any international travel at that point.

I think they must've accidentally thrown out my file or something.

Spent my month last-minute volunteering with the DA, doing nothing important. Literally went there, told them my predicament and said I'd answer phones.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:27 am

that is extremely unfortunate ^
any other experiences? good or bad

Return to “Legal Employment”