T14 2L, still unemployed... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T14 2L, still unemployed...

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:50 pm

I'm just wondering - is anyone out there still in this position? Struck out at OCI and mass mailing, can't seem to find any new interviews despite my 200+ mass mailings. Smiling and shaking hands at networking events, writing letters to ask for help and just doing everything I can. My only conclusion is that I must be as abhorrent as toad guts in person. At this point, I'm generally desperate for something, ANYTHING to work out so that I can have some hope of paying off my student loans before I die.

So, is there anyone who's still pushing forward down the same path? Anyone who found themselves here last year? If so, I'd really appreciate any advice you have - I'm feeling like it's game over.

suboxoneman

New

Re: T14 2L, still unemployed...

Post by suboxoneman » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm just wondering - is anyone out there still in this position? Struck out at OCI and mass mailing, can't seem to find any new interviews despite my 200+ mass mailings. Smiling and shaking hands at networking events, writing letters to ask for help and just doing everything I can. My only conclusion is that I must be as abhorrent as toad guts in person. At this point, I'm generally desperate for something, ANYTHING to work out so that I can have some hope of paying off my student loans before I die.

So, is there anyone who's still pushing forward down the same path? Anyone who found themselves here last year? If so, I'd really appreciate any advice you have - I'm feeling like it's game over.
1) after almost 2 years of law school, are you still interested in being a lawyer?

2) What sort of career do you envision for yourself?

Lawyerrr

New

Post by Lawyerrr » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:42 pm

If you haven't done this already, try applying to compliance positions at investment banks. I'm not sure whether they've already hired for summer internships, but that's an subset of the investment banking industry that's really growing. Maybe something to look into next year.

You could also offer to work for a low wage/for free for some small law firms in your home town. That way, when you do 3L OCI, you can have at least something legal-related on your resume.

SquedTheScholar

New

Post by SquedTheScholar » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:53 pm

Last edited by SquedTheScholar on Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:00 pm

Get a job w an agency or prosecutor/public defender. Apply for state and fed clerkships, and then you'll have options after you clerk. That's the easiest way to land something after you miss the boat in 2L

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:06 pm

Lawyerrr wrote:If you haven't done this already, try applying to compliance positions at investment banks. I'm not sure whether they've already hired for summer internships, but that's an subset of the investment banking industry that's really growing. Maybe something to look into next year.

You could also offer to work for a low wage/for free for some small law firms in your home town. That way, when you do 3L OCI, you can have at least something legal-related on your resume.
compliance isnt legal work
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:59 am

mr.hands wrote:Get a job w an agency or prosecutor/public defender. Apply for state and fed clerkships, and then you'll have options after you clerk. That's the easiest way to land something after you miss the boat in 2L

This is exactly what I did when I struck out at OCI (I was at a T20). Clerking gives you sort of a do-over when it comes to breaking into firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:56 pm

OP here. Thanks guys, this is actually pretty useful, and coincidentally enough, I just got my first interview at an investment bank. Appreciate all of your help.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”