3 Months Before SA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
skers

Platinum

Re: 3 Months Before SA

Post by skers » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mvp99 wrote:well if you were going to a v5 of even a v10 i think this would be fine.. but a v50? I don't think so
Weird. I never thought vault prestige would make a difference when it comes to something like this, but I guess it might?

Is it not normal for incoming SAs to attend firm events for V50 firms? I know a number of the V10s that go to my law school school specifically request 2L SAs go to the 1L events to meet more attorneys and talk to 1Ls about the firm. We also had lunches/dinners with partners during the school year for the incoming SAs. Maybe my firm is just atypical in inviting their incoming SAs to receptions and lunches.

I recently met a small practice group during a lunch they hosted for us. It was really nice because I hadn't really considered working with them this summer but got along with everyone so well that I'm now planning on asking for assignments with them.

Granted, we were invited by recruiting, but I also went to the 1L spring reception (along with the majority of the incoming SAs from my school) and had a great time.

OP, I guess I'm alone in that I don't think it's that weird to want to meet more people at your firm. Frankly, I'm surprised at how much hostility that idea received in this thread.
Why is this anon? You should at least own up to your inability to get a really obvious joke.

The problem isn't w/ wanting to meet more people at the firm. That is literally the point of an SA. The aggressive social weirdness is looking at it like collecting pokemon cards or looking to reach out 3 months out. A lot of people will just reach out to OP on their own to have lunch (firm buying after all) and OP could reach out to people over the summer to have lunch (probably better through a mentor in the case of partners though this is dependent on firm culture).

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:07 pm

mvp99 wrote:On a serious note, only attend a recruiting event if they specifically invite you to join

BiglawAssociate

Bronze

Post by BiglawAssociate » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:30 pm

LOL

Please do this so we associates can make fun of you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:52 pm

skers wrote: Why is this anon? You should at least own up to your inability to get a really obvious joke.

The problem isn't w/ wanting to meet more people at the firm. That is literally the point of an SA. The aggressive social weirdness is looking at it like collecting pokemon cards or looking to reach out 3 months out. A lot of people will just reach out to OP on their own to have lunch (firm buying after all) and OP could reach out to people over the summer to have lunch (probably better through a mentor in the case of partners though this is dependent on firm culture).
Yeah, the vault/law firm prestige joke went over my head, but that's not why I was anon. I'm admittedly not nearly as quick to get vault ranking jokes as you are. I'm anon because I've posted about my firm before and I didn't want to out the firm for deviating from the norm by actually acknowledging the existence of their summer class throughout the year, instead of keeping radio silence until the beginning of the SA program.

OP, I also think it's weird to not interact with your firm at all after accepting an offer so you have a sympathizer here. That said, it seems like the safe way to go is to wait until the summer unless the firm invites you to an event.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Plenty of firms invite incoming summer associates to participate in 1L recruiting events. It's not like being an actual attorney at the firm is relevant to ability to recruit. The firms are selling the idea of their firm more than the actual experience of their firm. 2Ls, who were in the 1Ls' shoes 12 months earlier, are pretty good salespeople for this idea. These 2Ls just bought into that idea 6 months earlier. In addition, the firm to an extent is still selling itself to the incoming summer associates.
There are perfectly good reasons to invite incoming 2Ls, I'm sure, but 1) if they don't want to they're certainly not missing out on some effective way to sell 1Ls on the firm, and 2) if the OP's firm doesn't invite 2Ls the OP probably shouldn't try to attend.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:35 pm

only attend events if invited.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:56 pm

It's a little overeager, and will make you look like a gunner just like in law school. It may lead to immediate questions over fit. The way to do this is at the receptions. Just go up to people, ask what they do, and show interest. You get the same result, demonstrate you're not socially awkward and capable of finding your own billable hours all in front of the committee while not looking like a gunner. Bonus tip is to introduce other more shy summers as well be to show you're not a gunner and that you can lead.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:10 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Don't do this, seriously.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:00 am

Everything you do from here onward can really only screw up your chances of getting a full time offer (assuming you are at a firm with near 100% offer rates). I'd assume people get no offers for doing something wrong, rather than failing to exceed all expectations. Going to a recruiting event before even summering is a prime way to screw up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Avian wrote: I think the key is that you were invited. It's very different if recruiting is putting together programs for you and connecting you with people at the firm versus just starting to randomly show up at 1L receptions.
Totally. I'm just surprised that it's not normal for firms to utilize incoming SAs--people who recently (likely) chose their firm over other firms--to advertise to 1Ls and meet other lawyers at their firm.
I'm going to say this as nicely as possible. You are embarking on an extended job interview. You are not valuable to the firm. You are not an asset. The partners and associates will meet you when it's appropriate. Trust them with this. And be appreciative.

Please make your chances of getting a job better by NEVER complaining or questioning what the firm does with the recruiting program. They don't need your input. (I'm saying this because you are already questioning them.)

masque du pantsu

Bronze

Post by masque du pantsu » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:33 am

The other thing to bear in mind is that really, no one has time to get lunch and shoot the sh*t with you. It's hard enough to find time to go out to lunch and hang out with you SAs even during the summer, when it's pretty much part of our job to do so. So even if your chance of making a bad impression is overblown a bit on this thread, the upside is so small as to be not worth the risk.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:41 am

OP will get no offered for sure. No matter what he does now. He'll do something weird.

Hope you are at a firm that even offers weirdos bro.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:51 am

Desert Fox wrote:OP will get no offered for sure. No matter what he does now. He'll do something weird.

DF jfc. way to be blunt as fuck
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:58 am

runinthefront wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:OP will get no offered for sure. No matter what he does now. He'll do something weird.

DF jfc. way to be blunt as fuck

I shouldn't say for sure, like 20-25 firms are 100% no matter what. So hoap and pray little OPbro.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

cdelgado

Bronze

Post by cdelgado » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Plenty of firms invite incoming summer associates to participate in 1L recruiting events. It's not like being an actual attorney at the firm is relevant to ability to recruit. The firms are selling the idea of their firm more than the actual experience of their firm. 2Ls, who were in the 1Ls' shoes 12 months earlier, are pretty good salespeople for this idea. These 2Ls just bought into that idea 6 months earlier. In addition, the firm to an extent is still selling itself to the incoming summer associates.
Is this a way to justify a 2L's presence at a 1L event?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”