3 Months Before SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3 Months Before SA

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:17 pm

2L at CCN with a V50 SA this summer in NYC.

TLS conventional wisdom is that one should leave their law firm alone after accepting a SA and not badger them throughout the year about wanting to attend events and meet partners in hopes of getting an "early start" to securing a post-SA offer. However, does anyone recommend simply reaching out to individual partners in practice areas of interest for lunch or an informal discussion? Or, alternatively, attending law firm recruiting events for the upcoming 2Ls? I feel the need to make the best impression possible prior to the beginning of my SA but am wary about shooting myself in the foot; I understand that there is a very fine line between Eager Summer Associate and Annoying Summer Associate. Can someone clarify the line for me? Thanks in advance.

didntretake

Re: 3 Months Before SA

Postby didntretake » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:21 pm

I will wait for other responses but as a fellow 2L with an SA coming up it sounds pretty gunnerish to me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:38 pm

Are u in NYC? If you are in the same city, it is OK since it probably will be convenient for both parties. Otherwise I will wait.

Avian

Postby Avian » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:43 pm

It will almost certainly come off as gunner-ish. I suppose you could probably ask if someone wanted to get lunch, although I would probably wonder why the person didn't just wait till they were working at the firm over the summer. Attending events meant for 1Ls sounds like a truly bizarre thing to do. Does your firm not give 100% offers?

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:53 pm

well if you were going to a v5 of even a v10 i think this would be fine.. but a v50? I don't think so

Lawyerrr

Postby Lawyerrr » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:16 pm

Don't do that.

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:27 pm

Just ask whoever you're thinking of over the summer.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:13 pm

Don't do this, seriously.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:25 pm

On a serious note, only attend a recruiting event if they specifically invite you to join

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L at CCN with a V50 SA this summer in NYC.

TLS conventional wisdom is that one should leave their law firm alone after accepting a SA and not badger them throughout the year about wanting to attend events and meet partners in hopes of getting an "early start" to securing a post-SA offer. However, does anyone recommend simply reaching out to individual partners in practice areas of interest for lunch or an informal discussion? Or, alternatively, attending law firm recruiting events for the upcoming 2Ls? I feel the need to make the best impression possible prior to the beginning of my SA but am wary about shooting myself in the foot; I understand that there is a very fine line between Eager Summer Associate and Annoying Summer Associate. Can someone clarify the line for me? Thanks in advance.

I tried doing this a few months before I started as a 1st year associate, but was told it was a bit too early, even though it was only about 6 weeks before I was supposed to start. I definitely don't see the need for a summer to do it, and most certainly not 3 months out.

Actus Reus

Postby Actus Reus » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:58 pm

I'm worried about you solely because you thought this might be a good idea. Don't do this, don't ever do this.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I feel the need to make the best impression possible prior to the beginning of my SA

The only impression you will make by doing this is a negative impression.

What you need to do is this: (1) work hard (but not so hard it's weird) over the summer; (2) show up to events that you are invited to over the summer and be reasonably sociable. That's it. There is no extra credit.

Actus Reus

Postby Actus Reus » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:59 pm

Being normal gets you a job offer. Don't do anything you think would make you more or less normal.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:19 pm

While there are differences between an eager summer associate and an annoying summer associate, there's at least one similarly: neither get jobs.

Cool your jets don't don't do this. Just be normal. There's nothing really to say to people at the firm.

DELG

Postby DELG » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:21 pm

mr.hands wrote:While there are differences between an eager summer associate and an annoying summer associate, there's at least one similarly: neither get jobs.

Cool your jets don't don't do this. Just be normal. There's nothing really to say to people at the firm.

This and also this is not a competition, it's a minimum competency test. No one remembering who you are is a great outcome for your summer

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote: However, does anyone recommend simply reaching out to individual partners in practice areas of interest for lunch or an informal discussion?

Just to pile on, lunches and informal discussion are what the summer is for. Talk to partners about their practice areas then, not now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:37 am

Your idea is not appreciably worse than taking your pants off at a summer event.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Your idea is not appreciably worse than taking your pants off at a summer event.

But only very marginally better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:56 am

mvp99 wrote:well if you were going to a v5 of even a v10 i think this would be fine.. but a v50? I don't think so

Weird. I never thought vault prestige would make a difference when it comes to something like this, but I guess it might?

Is it not normal for incoming SAs to attend firm events for V50 firms? I know a number of the V10s that go to my law school school specifically request 2L SAs go to the 1L events to meet more attorneys and talk to 1Ls about the firm. We also had lunches/dinners with partners during the school year for the incoming SAs. Maybe my firm is just atypical in inviting their incoming SAs to receptions and lunches.

I recently met a small practice group during a lunch they hosted for us. It was really nice because I hadn't really considered working with them this summer but got along with everyone so well that I'm now planning on asking for assignments with them.

Granted, we were invited by recruiting, but I also went to the 1L spring reception (along with the majority of the incoming SAs from my school) and had a great time.

OP, I guess I'm alone in that I don't think it's that weird to want to meet more people at your firm. Frankly, I'm surprised at how much hostility that idea received in this thread.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Avian

Postby Avian » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it not normal for incoming SAs to attend firm events? A number of the V10s that go to my law school school specifically request 2L SAs go to the 1L events to meet more attorneys and talk to 1Ls about the firm. We also had lunches/dinners with partners during the school year for the incoming SAs. Maybe my firm is just atypical in inviting their incoming SAs to receptions and lunches.

I recently met a small practice group during a lunch they hosted for us. It was really nice because I hadn't really considered working with them this summer but got along with everyone so well that I'm now planning on asking for assignments with them.

Granted, we were invited by recruiting, but I also went to the 1L spring reception (along with the majority of the incoming SAs from my school) and had a great time.

OP, I guess I'm alone in that I don't think it's that weird to want to meet more people at your firm. Frankly, I'm surprised at how much hostility that idea received in this thread.

I think the key is that you were invited. It's very different if recruiting is putting together programs for you and connecting you with people at the firm versus just starting to randomly show up at 1L receptions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:14 am

Avian wrote:I think the key is that you were invited. It's very different if recruiting is putting together programs for you and connecting you with people at the firm versus just starting to randomly show up at 1L receptions.

Totally. I'm just surprised that it's not normal for firms to utilize incoming SAs--people who recently (likely) chose their firm over other firms--to advertise to 1Ls and meet other lawyers at their firm.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:08 pm

DELG wrote:
mr.hands wrote:While there are differences between an eager summer associate and an annoying summer associate, there's at least one similarly: neither get jobs.

This and also this is not a competition, it's a minimum competency test. No one remembering who you are is a great outcome for your summer

Really, this. Just be normal. Enjoy your summer.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Avian wrote:I think the key is that you were invited. It's very different if recruiting is putting together programs for you and connecting you with people at the firm versus just starting to randomly show up at 1L receptions.

Totally. I'm just surprised that it's not normal for firms to utilize incoming SAs--people who recently (likely) chose their firm over other firms--to advertise to 1Ls and meet other lawyers at their firm.

People who haven't yet worked a day a firm probably aren't the best informed to advertise a firm to anyone, and they've already hired you - they'll get to meet you over the summer, they don't need you getting in the way of them meeting 1Ls/1Ls talking to their actual lawyers.

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:21 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

People who haven't yet worked a day a firm probably aren't the best informed to advertise a firm to anyone, and they've already hired you - they'll get to meet you over the summer, they don't need you getting in the way of them meeting 1Ls/1Ls talking to their actual lawyers.

This. What value is there in an incoming SA, who hasn't spent one day at a firm, talking to 1Ls? In some instances I can see 3Ls who were previous SAs, but I think even that value is limited.

To me that just makes it more awkward for everybody involved.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:27 pm

Plenty of firms invite incoming summer associates to participate in 1L recruiting events. It's not like being an actual attorney at the firm is relevant to ability to recruit. The firms are selling the idea of their firm more than the actual experience of their firm. 2Ls, who were in the 1Ls' shoes 12 months earlier, are pretty good salespeople for this idea. These 2Ls just bought into that idea 6 months earlier. In addition, the firm to an extent is still selling itself to the incoming summer associates.

Return to “Legal Employment”