qeustion for NY big law associates who party

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

qeustion for NY big law associates who party

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:45 pm

A bunch of undergrad friends and law school friends who have already graduated now live in NY. When I visited during this past week for my 3L spring break, we went out to party almost every day and they stayed out until 5 or 6 in the morning and then somehow still went to work and functioned (e.g. I have two undergrad friends in PE pulling over 500k so I assume they are competent). Is this normal? How do you guys do this?

I'm from California and while I go out somehwat often, bars/clubs close at 2 here so I have never had a problem getting 7-8 hours of sleep regardless of what I have to do the next day.

Anon because I have previously posted potentially identifying info and would rather not have my future employer know about my personal life.

User avatar
cookiejar1
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

Re: qeustion for NY big law associates who party

Postby cookiejar1 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:50 pm

You're from California but you're not familiar with cocaine?

User avatar
CaptainJapan
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: qeustion for NY big law associates who party

Postby CaptainJapan » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:53 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:You're from California but you're not familiar with cocaine?



baaaaaam

mvp99
Posts: 1384
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: qeustion for NY big law associates who party

Postby mvp99 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:53 pm

adderall cookie dough etc.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: qeustion for NY big law associates who party

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:07 pm

mvp99 wrote:adderall cookie dough etc.


I would not be surprised to learn that adderall is the biglaw drug of choice.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: qeustion for NY big law associates who party

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A bunch of undergrad friends and law school friends who have already graduated now live in NY. When I visited during this past week for my 3L spring break, we went out to party almost every day and they stayed out until 5 or 6 in the morning and then somehow still went to work and functioned (e.g. I have two undergrad friends in PE pulling over 500k so I assume they are competent). Is this normal? How do you guys do this?

I'm from California and while I go out somehwat often, bars/clubs close at 2 here so I have never had a problem getting 7-8 hours of sleep regardless of what I have to do the next day.

Anon because I have previously posted potentially identifying info and would rather not have my future employer know about my personal life.


not normal at all dooder, unless ur post-UG and/or addicted to amphetamines

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: qeustion for NY big law associates who party

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:04 pm

All jokes aside, its usually cocaine. As sad as this is, our profession and many other high $, high stress, high hour professions fall to this sometimes. I know 2 dudes who are big law attorneys who openly admit they use cocaine to stay up and pull allnighters at work or partying cause "I can't sleep if I hope to have a social life on top of big law". This is a very real thing.

mvp99
Posts: 1384
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: qeustion for NY big law associates who party

Postby mvp99 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:13 pm

many associates have told me partying gets old in 3-6 months anyway

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: qeustion for NY big law associates who party

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:01 pm

biglaw midlevel

work-permitting, I go out like 3-4 nites/wk

I just don't do drugs/blackout/stay out until 5-6AM

u hav 2 find a sustainable way to balance work and social time if u r a really social person

I've just gotten used to being tired...I do work out religiously tho which I think helps somehow

User avatar
landshoes
is that cool?
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: qeustion for NY big law associates who party

Postby landshoes » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:01 pm

Also--other uppers like provigil.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: qeustion for NY big law associates who party

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:03 pm

landshoes wrote:Also--other uppers like provigil.



Wats that - seems deleterious to one's health

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6047
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: qeustion for NY big law associates who party

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:52 pm

I struggle when I get less than 7 hours of sleep. Sheesh.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: qeustion for NY big law associates who party

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:36 pm

landshoes wrote:Also--other uppers like provigil.

I am curious what others think of provigil vs adderall (for legitimate use for ADD/ADHD). I currently have a prescription for adderall, which is good but not great. Sorry that this is slightly off-topic. I liked adderall when studying in law school but less so in practice. I've found adderall is not as useful with the regular shifting from task to task with legal practice...whereas, in school, I would take adderall and focus on one task for multiple hours.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: qeustion for NY big law associates who party

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:17 pm

It makes me chuckle to imagine 99% of the people I work with staying out til 6 hopped up on coke.

User avatar
landshoes
is that cool?
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: qeustion for NY big law associates who party

Postby landshoes » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:25 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
landshoes wrote:Also--other uppers like provigil.



Wats that - seems deleterious to one's health


It is meant for chronic fatigue or narcolepsy. I have no idea how bad it is, I just know finance people who stay out all night then take it to function at work

User avatar
WeeBey
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: qeustion for NY big law associates who party

Postby WeeBey » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:34 am

BarbellDreams wrote:All jokes aside, its usually cocaine. As sad as this is, our profession and many other high $, high stress, high hour professions fall to this sometimes. I know 2 dudes who are big law attorneys who openly admit they use cocaine to stay up and pull allnighters at work or partying cause "I can't sleep if I hope to have a social life on top of big law". This is a very real thing.


To party sure, but to actually get work done? I doubt it. A line lasts only 20 or so minutes, and since they would actually try and be productive and not geeked up, theyre probably doing bumps every 15. Not to mention using coke to pull an allnighter means you wont sleep til the following evening. Definitely not the best way to use coke.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: qeustion for NY big law associates who party

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:23 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:It makes me chuckle to imagine 99% of the people I work with staying out til 6 hopped up on coke.


ya idk where this is the norm

even my cohort that came to NYC immediately after college didnt do that




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.