Fed/State/City 1L Internship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
roseh522

Fed/State/City 1L Internship

Postby roseh522 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:08 pm

If you had to choose a 1L public interest/government internship would you prefer working for the State of NJ AG- DCF, NY Human Rights Div, HUD FHEO, or NYC Law Department?

racheltessa

Re: Fed/State/City 1L Internship

Postby racheltessa » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:43 pm

roseh522 wrote:If you had to choose a 1L public interest/government internship would you prefer working for the State of NJ AG- DCF, NY Human Rights Div, HUD FHEO, or NYC Law Department?

What are your ultimate post-graduation job goals? If its Biglaw, I would stick with the AG's office. Working there could provide invaluable experience, depending on the current plate at that particular office, and this is a rapidly expanding expertise/area on the defense-side in BigLaw (and dare I say on the BigLaw/plaintiff side--yes there is such a thing).

gtown1212

Postby gtown1212 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:18 pm

if you want biglaw, literally what you do doesn't matter.

that said, with everything being equal and not mattering, NYC Law Department is a solid internship. It's paid, they provide free housing and you get to do some cool stuff depending on where you're assigned.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:24 pm

I just accepted a position with AG in NJ DOL, and the work they seem to be doing seems substantively interesting. I'm not sure its relevance for big law, but at least it seems like it will be useful for talking points at OCI and mass mail interviews.

Avian

Postby Avian » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:25 pm

I'd say Law Department as well because if you intern there 1L summer they let you skip the screener for 2L summer which can actually lead to a job. It's about as close as you'll get to something that might lead to a job that's not a 1L SA. Personally I wouldn't put a lot of weight on the claim that you'll gain "invaluable experience" from the AG's office. Firms are not going to care about the limited experience you gain during a 1L summer internship. That said, I'm sure working interning at the AG's office would be very interesting.

Return to “Legal Employment”