Certificates - Yes or No?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JayDubya

Certificates - Yes or No?

Postby JayDubya » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:15 pm

My school offers a couple different certificates you can earn along with your JD in different areas (energy & natural resources law, business law, etc). I talked to Career Services about them and they seemed to suggest they were not incredibly valuable but if I "wanted to and had the extra time" then I should do it.

How are specialization certificates viewed by potential employers???

racheltessa

Re: Certificates - Yes or No?

Postby racheltessa » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:26 pm

JayDubya wrote:My school offers a couple different certificates you can earn along with your JD in different areas (energy & natural resources law, business law, etc). I talked to Career Services about them and they seemed to suggest they were not incredibly valuable but if I "wanted to and had the extra time" then I should do it.

How are specialization certificates viewed by potential employers???

Not sure from your post which type of employer you are targeting, but from the BigLaw perspective: I think that if you are a candidate who has a strong, demonstrated interest in a niche area, energy being a very good example, and applying for a 1L/2L SA position in a BigLaw office in a region where that niche is very strong--using the energy example, an office located in Houston or Dallas--then having the certificate in this area could be a valuable conversation starter as long as you are interviewing with attorneys who practice in the niche. You need to do what you can to orchestrate the interview, ie: lay the groundwork prior to interview, to make sure that you are getting in front of the right people in the niche, and that you can speak knowledgeably about the niche and why you are interested. Without doing so, the value of having such a certificate on your resume lessons considerably.

sublime

Re: Certificates - Yes or No?

Postby sublime » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:27 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”