FTC/DOJ Antitrust

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

FTC/DOJ Antitrust

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:27 pm

Apologies if this is a stupid question. I'm interested in eventually practicing antitrust in biglaw. Would spending a few years (3-5 years) at the FTC Bureau of Competition or the Antitrust Division of DOJ be attractive to big law employers?

I keep hearing that gov't experience is valued by antitrust practices esp. in DC, but it seems like that's only the case if you stick around and fight for leadership positions at the agencies (e.g., section chief). I know those jobs are competitive; I'm just curious as I start thinking about potential career angles.

Anonymous User

Re: FTC/DOJ Antitrust

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:28 am

If you're the type of candidate who can get DOJ antitrust through the honors program, you won't have any problem getting a biglaw position. DOJ and FTC antitrust both have excellent exit options to biglaw even at the relatively entry level, but for an average top 14 grad it's much harder to get DOJ or FTC out of law school than to get biglaw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:39 pm

OP again here--Thank you for your response. So you don't think getting to a title position (like section chief) is necessary to lateral to a firm from DOJ/FTC (or even other similar agencies like SEC/EPA/CFTC, etc.)? FWIW, i'm a junior associate at a firm currently.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP again here--Thank you for your response. So you don't think getting to a title position (like section chief) is necessary to lateral to a firm from DOJ/FTC (or even other similar agencies like SEC/EPA/CFTC, etc.)? FWIW, i'm a junior associate at a firm currently.

Ahh, then your question makes a lot more sense. From my experience (worked a summer at FTC and am an attorney at a different federal agency currently), lateraling from the FTC to biglaw at the associate level was common after about 5 years as a staff attorney. If you want to lateral as a senior counsel or a partner, then you need to be at least at a deputy section chief (called a deputy assistant director) level at the FTC for at least a few years. There's also great in-house options from the FTC at the deputy assistant director level. Can't speak for DOJ but I imagine it would be similar. Since you're already in biglaw, I don't think going to the FTC would give you a major career advantage unless you make deputy assistant director.

Return to “Legal Employment”