applying to new job only 1 month after starting different 1

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

applying to new job only 1 month after starting different 1

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:43 am

Since law school, I've always wanted to work at a certain fed. government agency. After law school, I clerked for a district judge for 2 years. There were never any openings at the agency so I applied to other things and landed a job at a mid-size firm. Clerkship ended in Jan. and I took the firm job starting in Feb. Job seems good (so far) and am happy to have it, but I recently found out about a position at the government agency that just came open. I'm going to apply, but since I've only worked at this place a month I'm wondering whether to mention it and put it on my resume or to just leave it off entirely. Seems like a weird situation since if I list it, I feel like I'll be less likely to be considered because I've only been working there a month, and if I don't it will look like I've been unemployed for a month after my clerkship. What is worse? My inclination was to list it on the resume and say that while I very much enjoy my current work, it's always been a dream of mine to work at that agency.

Anyone been in a situation like this or want to weigh in?

dixiecupdrinking

Re: applying to new job only 1 month after starting different 1

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:05 am

I'd list it. I think it looks better than a resume gap, and I also suspect you will have to tell them eventually anyway, either for HR requirements or conflict checks and the like.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:00 am

I would list the current job - I think given that you can't wait for/count on an opening exactly when you want to move, it makes sense to be applying as soon as there is one. That is, I don't think it will look bad to the agency that you're applying after only being at your current place briefly - they will know you obviously had to find a post-clerkship job before their opening came up. As you said, make clear that this is the work you really want to do and it should be fine.

(If you were applying to another firm, people might think, "Why is s/he trying to get out so quickly? What's wrong with the current place? Did s/he fuck up already?" But government work/hiring is different enough, I don't think anyone will think anything except that you really want to work for the government.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:59 pm

List the job. Seems like you've been waiting for some time for this ideal position, so if you convey that, its doubtful that you would be frowned upon for wanting your ideal opportunity. If anything, it might convey your strong interest in the position.

What agency?

Return to “Legal Employment”