Sorry if this late: 20 hour work limit for law students gone Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kykiske

Bronze

Sorry if this late: 20 hour work limit for law students gone

Post by kykiske » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:37 pm

http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/ ... eckdam.pdf

Here's the relevant text:

That requirement has been eliminated in the new Standards, and there is no reason for such a change to not become immediately effective.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Re: Sorry if this late: 20 hour work limit for law students gone

Post by lacrossebrother » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:41 pm

Oh fuck yes thank you

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:49 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:Oh fuck yes thank you
You're very welcome.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:18 pm

I don't know that it really makes any difference, though. The restriction only applied to full-time law students (who are taking more than 12 credits) and for paid-positions (i.e. you could do a full-time internship/externship at a governmental organization), and you gotta be pretty crazy to be working full-time for money and taking on a full courseload of law school classes. Your grades seem to follow you around forever in that they heavily impact what doors are or aren't open for you, so I can't imagine very many full-time law students are going to be working more than 20 hours a week anyways. Even if you're a "law clerk" for a firm, that type of commitment would be crazy since your grades are inevitably going to drop, and you're then fucked if the firm doesn't hire you after graduation. In some ways, the ABA requirement helped protect TTT law students from smaller firms (which abuse the hell out of internships/clerkships since they get away with paying their clerks like $12 /hour while billing them out at $150+ /hr) requiring them to work more than 20 hours a week during the school year, because the student could hide behind the ABA rule if asked to work more (rather than having to decide between whether he should tell the firm that he isn't able to work that much, and risk not getting an offer that he so desperately will need after graduation, and whether he should focus on his grades). I don't know, I like that the ABA rule is gone, since I'm not big on restrictions like that, but I can see the negatives of not having the rule in place as well. It's not like anyone's going to "work their way through law school" at $300k for 3 years of school.

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:21 pm

kykiske wrote:
lacrossebrother wrote:Oh fuck yes thank you
You're very welcome.
Hardest I've laughed at a post/response on TLS in quite some time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:26 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:I don't know that it really makes any difference, though. The restriction only applied to full-time law students (who are taking more than 12 credits) and for paid-positions (i.e. you could do a full-time internship/externship at a governmental organization), and you gotta be pretty crazy to be working full-time for money and taking on a full courseload of law school classes. Your grades seem to follow you around forever in that they heavily impact what doors are or aren't open for you, so I can't imagine very many full-time law students are going to be working more than 20 hours a week anyways. Even if you're a "law clerk" for a firm, that type of commitment would be crazy since your grades are inevitably going to drop, and you're then fucked if the firm doesn't hire you after graduation. In some ways, the ABA requirement helped protect TTT law students from smaller firms (which abuse the hell out of internships/clerkships since they get away with paying their clerks like $12 /hour while billing them out at $150+ /hr) requiring them to work more than 20 hours a week during the school year, because the student could hide behind the ABA rule if asked to work more (rather than having to decide between whether he should tell the firm that he isn't able to work that much, and risk not getting an offer that he so desperately will need after graduation, and whether he should focus on his grades). I don't know, I like that the ABA rule is gone, since I'm not big on restrictions like that, but I can see the negatives of not having the rule in place as well. It's not like anyone's going to "work their way through law school" at $300k for 3 years of school.
I'm a second semester 3L who is firmly within honors and firmly outside of coif so I could give a fuck about my grades. I'm hired my firm already and make my own hours --Ive certainly had the 20 hour cap on my mind...and was justifying it, kind of guility by interpreting the old rule as an "average of 20 hours a week per semester." It's not that hard to go over 20 and do well anyways, especially if youve got to finish something over the weekend

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:46 pm

I could have done a 40 hour a week job 2L and this year without it hurting my GPA at all. Paternalism only matters for 1Ls. This is a great change imo.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:54 pm

I feel like I will always have need/use of someone saving me from myself for the rest of my life.

pattyw2008

New

Post by pattyw2008 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:01 pm

I've worked 20 hours per week since 1L year in retail to help pay for law school (I'm poor). I got on law review, honors, and am one of the top students in my class. It's definitely doable.. you just have to prioritize your time wisely.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:08 pm

I'm currently working more than 20 hours a week but I only get paid for 20. So yea, this could be huge if it actually will immediately impact campus policy.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:47 pm

jbagelboy wrote:I'm currently working more than 20 hours a week but I only get paid for 20. So yea, this could be huge if it actually will immediately impact campus policy.
Lol at a company violating federal law in order to comply with ABA standards

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:54 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:I'm currently working more than 20 hours a week but I only get paid for 20. So yea, this could be huge if it actually will immediately impact campus policy.
Lol at a company violating federal law in order to comply with ABA standards
its actually the law school itself, sadly ;/.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:55 pm

Only way that could be better is if you were researching flsa cases for a prof

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:20 am

I worked 40-50 hours a week while a full time 3L, how would people even know that you are over the 20 hours mark?

MPTPWZ1026

New

Post by MPTPWZ1026 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:56 pm

Technically, your school can still retain a 20-hour policy if they want to; they just are no longer required to do so by the ABA. My school's policy has yet to change, but I know several people who work more than 20 hours anyway. We're all adults; we can figure out when the number of hours we are working is impacting our ability to complete our assignments for school.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:49 pm

MPTPWZ1026 wrote:Technically, your school can still retain a 20-hour policy if they want to; they just are no longer required to do so by the ABA. My school's policy has yet to change, but I know several people who work more than 20 hours anyway. We're all adults; we can figure out when the number of hours we are working is impacting our ability to complete our assignments for school.
Sure, schools can institute local policies limiting work hours, but they can no longer justify them on ABA rules. I think most law schools remain oblivious to this change; if they want to retain the old policy, they'll have to develop independent justifications.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I worked 40-50 hours a week while a full time 3L, how would people even know that you are over the 20 hours mark?
i assumed character & fitness people would call to ask

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:50 pm

Would C&F even bother with it now? And quite frankly, how would working over 20 hours show bad character?

"He or she works too hard"; or "This person is too dedicated to his/her job."

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:51 pm

kykiske wrote:Would C&F even bother with it now? And quite frankly, how would working over 20 hours show bad character?

"This person violates clearly defined rules if they feel the behavior is justified"

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:01 pm

bjsesq wrote:
kykiske wrote:Would C&F even bother with it now? And quite frankly, how would working over 20 hours show bad character?

"This person violates clearly defined rules if they feel the behavior is justified"
I suppose so?

I just don't see working over 20 hours as a poor reflection of someone's character. Aside from it being a technical violation of a rule that has now been removed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:07 pm

I don't think C&F has the resources to do much more than a cursory background check. My guess is they have access to a tool that lets them search public records, but I doubt they are doing much calling around. Doing an in depth background check is resource intensive.

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:11 pm

Am I naive in thinking that even if you work over 20 hours--and the rule was still effective--that C&F wouldn't reject your admission?

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:57 pm

Because now you guys have ME anxious. I'm sure over the course of these past 2.5 years, I've worked more than twenty hours in a week at a single place. And if that's enough to get you canned by C&F, well, I'm screwed--assuming they discover it through an investigation.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:24 pm

Nobody every told me that there was some 20 hour rule, nobody enforces the rule, and nobody investigates, especially not for C&F.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”