Difficult, time sensitive dilemma

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Difficult, time sensitive dilemma

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:16 pm

Hi guys,

I am a 3L at a top-25 currently looking for a job. I have a couple of pretty solid leads for a state clerkship (in the state where I go to school--medium sized secondary market) and for a couple of mid to big sized law firms here in state.

I just received an email out of the blue from a law firm in my (neighboring) home state that I spoke with months ago. Apparently, they had an associate leave and may have an opening that I might be able to fill. Couple of issues: (1) this law firm is in a very small town in my home state, and it isn't my hometown (I just happen to know one of the partners), (2) I am not registered for the bar in my home state, but I have a little bit of time left to register for my homestate (with a hefty late fee) in addition to the state where I go to school. I am not actively looking for employment in my homestate, so this is a wager I would be taking for one job opportunity.

I feel ridiculous for coming here with this problem, but you guys tend to be very level headed, and I am not very levelheaded right now (the Vale is not a fun place to be). What do you guys suggest that I do? Is it better to go ahead and eat the $1000 for a chance at a firm job in a very small town, or should I stay the course in my ideal city, which is here in the state where I go to school?

Thanks for the help, and sorry for being vague. I would hate to out myself over this nonsense.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Difficult, time sensitive dilemma

Postby minnbills » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:22 pm

What kind of timeline is this firm giving you for a decision? I don't think you should drop a grand to take another bar just for a small chance of getting a job you don't sound too excited about.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Difficult, time sensitive dilemma

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:26 pm

Well, the issue isn't so much the firm's timeline (which I haven't gotten yet), but rather the fact that I am on a very tight timeline to register for the bar. Even if I went to their office later this week to meet with the partners, I wouldn't be able to get my bar application in on time. In order to have a shot for this job, I would have to apply to my homestate bar without a firm offer or timeline.

You're right, I'm really not excited about living in this town. That being said, I'd move to the moon for a decent job.

User avatar
JoanSloan
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:17 pm

Re: Difficult, time sensitive dilemma

Postby JoanSloan » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:05 pm

If you're not sure about accepting, and you're mostly teetering towards rejecting their offer: negotiate with them. Give them an opportunity to address your concerns.

For example, would they be willing to cover the expense of registration and licensing?
You can let them know that it's a significant financial hurdle for you, and you are taking a big risk to pursue them.
If they cover, you know how willing they are to take you on, and you have less weight on your shoulders when making a decision.

Of course, not all small firms have the resources to negotiate like this, and that's why I suggest negotiating only if you honestly have big reservations about accepting.

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Difficult, time sensitive dilemma

Postby Lacepiece23 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:11 pm

Not trying to derail the thread, but are we supposed to be applying for the bar soon? I thought that we didn't have to do this until like April.

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 13831
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Difficult, time sensitive dilemma

Postby JohannDeMann » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi guys,

I am a 3L at a top-25 currently looking for a job. I have a couple of pretty solid leads for a state clerkship (in the state where I go to school--medium sized secondary market) and for a couple of mid to big sized law firms here in state.

I just received an email out of the blue from a law firm in my (neighboring) home state that I spoke with months ago. Apparently, they had an associate leave and may have an opening that I might be able to fill. Couple of issues: (1) this law firm is in a very small town in my home state, and it isn't my hometown (I just happen to know one of the partners), (2) I am not registered for the bar in my home state, but I have a little bit of time left to register for my homestate (with a hefty late fee) in addition to the state where I go to school. I am not actively looking for employment in my homestate, so this is a wager I would be taking for one job opportunity.

I feel ridiculous for coming here with this problem, but you guys tend to be very level headed, and I am not very levelheaded right now (the Vale is not a fun place to be). What do you guys suggest that I do? Is it better to go ahead and eat the $1000 for a chance at a firm job in a very small town, or should I stay the course in my ideal city, which is here in the state where I go to school?

Thanks for the help, and sorry for being vague. I would hate to out myself over this nonsense.


They will understand you taking the Feb bar I bet. I know a couple people that did it. Just let them know when they offer the jobthat you missed the bar deadline and will take Feb.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.