Skip OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Skip OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:22 pm

Anyone ever had this happen before when dinged for a 1L SA by a firm? Asking to forego the screener process at OCI and wanting to schedule a call back in August. Keep in mind I did not interview for the 1L OCI; just mass mail. Will the interview be nothing more than a screener at the firm or an actual CB (if you had a guess)

User avatar
goldeneye
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Skip OCI

Postby goldeneye » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone ever had this happen before when dinged for a 1L SA by a firm? Asking to forego the screener process at OCI and wanting to schedule a call back in August. Keep in mind I did not interview for the 1L OCI; just mass mail. Will the interview be nothing more than a screener at the firm or an actual CB (if you had a guess)


1) who cares what it actually is? Just go interview and crush it
2) ask them

User avatar
Avian
Posts: 273
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:04 pm

Re: Skip OCI

Postby Avian » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone ever had this happen before when dinged for a 1L SA by a firm? Asking to forego the screener process at OCI and wanting to schedule a call back in August. Keep in mind I did not interview for the 1L OCI; just mass mail. Will the interview be nothing more than a screener at the firm or an actual CB (if you had a guess)

Did you interview previously from a mass mail or just get dinged right away? If you're scheduled to meet with one person it's a screener, if you're scheduled to meet with a group of people (usually at least four) then it's a callback.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Skip OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone ever had this happen before when dinged for a 1L SA by a firm? Asking to forego the screener process at OCI and wanting to schedule a call back in August. Keep in mind I did not interview for the 1L OCI; just mass mail. Will the interview be nothing more than a screener at the firm or an actual CB (if you had a guess)


My spouse skipped OCI entirely, but it was a bit of a special situation. She was in the local market for a 1L SA that she wanted to keep working at through the OCI date. She mailed firms in town that were also coming to her school's OCI and asked if they would be interested in interviewing her while she was in town. Quite a few said yes. Only one took the request negatively. They pretty much went straight to CB.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Skip OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:52 pm

goldeneye wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone ever had this happen before when dinged for a 1L SA by a firm? Asking to forego the screener process at OCI and wanting to schedule a call back in August. Keep in mind I did not interview for the 1L OCI; just mass mail. Will the interview be nothing more than a screener at the firm or an actual CB (if you had a guess)


1) who cares what it actually is? Just go interview and crush it
2) ask them


Thanks, was just curious if anyone had prior experience w/ this

Avian wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone ever had this happen before when dinged for a 1L SA by a firm? Asking to forego the screener process at OCI and wanting to schedule a call back in August. Keep in mind I did not interview for the 1L OCI; just mass mail. Will the interview be nothing more than a screener at the firm or an actual CB (if you had a guess)

Did you interview previously from a mass mail or just get dinged right away? If you're scheduled to meet with one person it's a screener, if you're scheduled to meet with a group of people (usually at least four) then it's a callback.


Mass mailed in february for a 1L SA. Interview will be in august. Dont know who with. (OP)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Skip OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:17 pm

Pre-OCI CBs aren't uncommon. Not exactly the same situation, but after doing a 1L SA CB and not being given an offer, I was invited back to do a 2L SA CB in August before OCI. Its probably a CB even given the different circumstances.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Skip OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:15 pm

I skipped OCI. It was dope. I heavily recommend it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Skip OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:56 pm

Thanks everyone. Hoping it works out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Skip OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:18 pm

If you weren't given 1L SA offer but you got direct to CB offer for 2L SA, are you at an advantage? Is the offer rate higher for these people?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Skip OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone ever had this happen before when dinged for a 1L SA by a firm? Asking to forego the screener process at OCI and wanting to schedule a call back in August. Keep in mind I did not interview for the 1L OCI; just mass mail. Will the interview be nothing more than a screener at the firm or an actual CB (if you had a guess)


which market? I got a similar request, and if you are really curious about what it is, prob best to ask them about it (maybe in a roundabout way); if they say its with one interviewer then its an initial interview.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Skip OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone ever had this happen before when dinged for a 1L SA by a firm? Asking to forego the screener process at OCI and wanting to schedule a call back in August. Keep in mind I did not interview for the 1L OCI; just mass mail. Will the interview be nothing more than a screener at the firm or an actual CB (if you had a guess)


which market? I got a similar request, and if you are really curious about what it is, prob best to ask them about it (maybe in a roundabout way); if they say its with one interviewer then its an initial interview.


NY, you?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Skip OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone ever had this happen before when dinged for a 1L SA by a firm? Asking to forego the screener process at OCI and wanting to schedule a call back in August. Keep in mind I did not interview for the 1L OCI; just mass mail. Will the interview be nothing more than a screener at the firm or an actual CB (if you had a guess)


which market? I got a similar request, and if you are really curious about what it is, prob best to ask them about it (maybe in a roundabout way); if they say its with one interviewer then its an initial interview.


NY, you?


same here. Given the fact that my career service people wasn't sure what this was, I'm guessing this is relatively a new thing

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Skip OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone ever had this happen before when dinged for a 1L SA by a firm? Asking to forego the screener process at OCI and wanting to schedule a call back in August. Keep in mind I did not interview for the 1L OCI; just mass mail. Will the interview be nothing more than a screener at the firm or an actual CB (if you had a guess)


which market? I got a similar request, and if you are really curious about what it is, prob best to ask them about it (maybe in a roundabout way); if they say its with one interviewer then its an initial interview.


NY, you?


same here. Given the fact that my career service people wasn't sure what this was, I'm guessing this is relatively a new thing

Weil has done this for years now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Skip OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Weil has done this for years now.


Any idea how these people faired, generally at Weil. Was it considered a CB or screener?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Skip OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Weil has done this for years now.


Any idea how these people faired, generally at Weil. Was it considered a CB or screener?

Its a CB, and conversion rates are high. If you get the offer they will give you it well before OCI but you might have timing issues where the deadline they give you will be before you've done all of your OCI CBs/received all your offers. However, they were very accommodating in giving extensions so don't be afraid to ask if you're put in that situation.

GL

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Skip OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Weil has done this for years now.


Any idea how these people faired, generally at Weil. Was it considered a CB or screener?

Its a CB, and conversion rates are high. If you get the offer they will give you it well before OCI but you might have timing issues where the deadline they give you will be before you've done all of your OCI CBs/received all your offers. However, they were very accommodating in giving extensions so don't be afraid to ask if you're put in that situation.

GL


Thanks- I really appreciate the advice/input. Now I'll know to ask for an extension, should I be so lucky to be extended an offer.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.