Does Cravath use Lexis or Westlaw?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
2squared

Does Cravath use Lexis or Westlaw?

Postby 2squared » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:52 pm

I am doing a lot of legal research work in law school, and I figured it would be a good idea to use the same research engine that I will be using after law school. So, if anyone has summered there or works there now...

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Does Cravath use Lexis or Westlaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:55 pm

2squared wrote:I am doing a lot of legal research work in law school, and I figured it would be a good idea to use the same research engine that I will be using after law school. So, if anyone has summered there or works there now...

Thanks!

It uses both Lexis and Westlaw, like S&C, Wachtell, etc.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:57 pm

I'm sure they have contracts with both. Its the pricing scheme that you have to be aware of. For example, my firm initially had Westlaw charging per search, but not for keyciting or directly typing in and reading a case. While Lexis did not charge for searching but charged each time you clicked into a particular case. And then, out of nowhere, my firm got a deal with Lexis to eliminate the cost of searching, so now its just some fixed price contract, and we can do as much Lexis research as we want without incurring additional charges.

So its all about pricing structures. I used to always use Westlaw, but sort of had to switch to Lexis once that deal was in place.

2squared

Postby 2squared » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:07 pm

Thank you both very much. Super helpful.

Have a great day.

Return to “Legal Employment”