Demotion to a law clerk from being an associate?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Demotion to a law clerk from being an associate?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:42 am

So I did some research on my firm I'm heading this summer, and according to NALP, these people who summered there at a particular year should have all gotten full time offers. But now I see that they are now a law clerk instead of a full time associate... I looked at their linkedin profile and it confirms that they were once a summer associate but now a law clerk...

Can anyone shed light on what's happening? I'm starting to freak out a bit thinking that this is occurring because of financial troubles within the firm?

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 13831
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Demotion to a law clerk from being an associate?

Postby JohannDeMann » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:45 am

Yeah that sounds pretty bad. Only consolation would be bar failed?

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Demotion to a law clerk from being an associate?

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:45 am

Sometimes firms will label new associates as law clerks until they get admitted to the bar.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Demotion to a law clerk from being an associate?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:01 am

OP here. But it can't be that they weren't admitted to the bar yet since it's already what freaking March.

I mean... the situation is from these people supposedly getting an offer as reported on Vault and NALP to now looking on their page to them going from summer associate-->law clerk...

This isn't everybody but for a few people. Optimistically I did see an individual who was listed as a law clerk promoted to an associate so good news?

Also I'm thinking, if a firm offers instead a summer associate a law clerk position post-graduation, does that mean that the firm can report via NALP full offers for that summer class?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Demotion to a law clerk from being an associate?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. But it can't be that they weren't admitted to the bar yet since it's already what freaking March.

I mean... the situation is from these people supposedly getting an offer as reported on Vault and NALP to now looking on their page to them going from summer associate-->law clerk...

This isn't everybody but for a few people. Optimistically I did see an individual who was listed as a law clerk promoted to an associate so good news?

Also I'm thinking, if a firm offers instead a summer associate a law clerk position post-graduation, does that mean that the firm can report via NALP full offers for that summer class?


This is completely normal. In many states the character and fitness process takes a very long time so people will not actually be admitted into the bar for many months after they've passed the bar exam.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Demotion to a law clerk from being an associate?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:08 am

If your firm is in NY this is 100% the reason why they are law clerks. Mostly everyone in NY is a law clerk until atleast Jan. after taking the bar.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Demotion to a law clerk from being an associate?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:11 am

Its because they aren't admitted yet. In my class at a NY firm, the very first person admitted was in mid February, and some people weren't admitted until the summer. On top of that, you have to factor in how fast the firm updates website profiles, which doesn't always happen immediately. At this time last year, nearly all of us, save for one or two, were still "law clerks". The firm made a big point that we not hold ourselves out as associates until bar admittance was completely done, and that process is painfully long.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Demotion to a law clerk from being an associate?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:16 am

Phew! I talked to a friend about this and he told me that he noticed how in the website, the law clerks didn't state whether they were admitted yet whereas associate profiles did mention their bar admission. I'm sorry for bothering TLS regarding this but hopefully this thread will be useful to someone else in the future who might freak out in a similar fashion like I did.

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14460
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: Demotion to a law clerk from being an associate?

Postby Desert Fox » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:17 am

I've only ever seen it for someone not barred. Non associates will have another title.

If this ny it often takes years to get barred.

User avatar
mmelittlechicken
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:34 am

Re: Demotion to a law clerk from being an associate?

Postby mmelittlechicken » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:18 am

Desert Fox wrote:I've only ever seen it for someone not barred. Non associates will have another title.

If this ny it often takes years to get barred.

8)

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 10746
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Demotion to a law clerk from being an associate?

Postby Capitol_Idea » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:18 pm

So I did some research, and it turns out that some people after entering into law firms were 'barred.' Like, 'barred' from practicing law? Is the firm facing massive ethics violations as well as financial problem? I'm freaking out, man.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22892
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Demotion to a law clerk from being an associate?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I did some research, and it turns out that some people after entering into law firms were 'barred.' Like, 'barred' from practicing law? Is the firm facing massive ethics violations as well as financial problem? I'm freaking out, man.

Dude, barred means you've been admitted to the bar. You need to calm down. Or stop trolling.

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 10746
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Demotion to a law clerk from being an associate?

Postby Capitol_Idea » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:40 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I did some research, and it turns out that some people after entering into law firms were 'barred.' Like, 'barred' from practicing law? Is the firm facing massive ethics violations as well as financial problem? I'm freaking out, man.

Dude, barred means you've been admitted to the bar. You need to calm down. Or stop trolling.


Are there really people on here dumb enough that the above statement could have been seriously uttered or understood as such?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22892
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Demotion to a law clerk from being an associate?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I did some research, and it turns out that some people after entering into law firms were 'barred.' Like, 'barred' from practicing law? Is the firm facing massive ethics violations as well as financial problem? I'm freaking out, man.

Dude, barred means you've been admitted to the bar. You need to calm down. Or stop trolling.


Are there really people on here dumb enough that the above statement could have been seriously uttered or understood as such?

Oh, you're not the OP. So there wasn't really any reason to post that anon, then.

lowly_associate
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:13 pm

Re: Demotion to a law clerk from being an associate?

Postby lowly_associate » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I did some research on my firm I'm heading this summer, and according to NALP, these people who summered there at a particular year should have all gotten full time offers. But now I see that they are now a law clerk instead of a full time associate... I looked at their linkedin profile and it confirms that they were once a summer associate but now a law clerk...

Can anyone shed light on what's happening? I'm starting to freak out a bit thinking that this is occurring because of financial troubles within the firm?


We have a couple like this in my firm. They haven't been demoted or failed the bar, character and fitness is just taking eons. Florida, go figure.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.