How Accurate are Benefits on NALP Directory?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How Accurate are Benefits on NALP Directory?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:39 pm

The reason I ask, is because I know that the vast majority of biglaw firms do not match 401k contributions. However, at one particular firm relevent to my interests, it lists "401(k)/IRA/Other Ret. Plan w/Employer Contribution" under the attorney benefits on the NALP form.

Are the benefits lists on NALP Directory accurate, meaning this firm is a special snowflake in regards to matching 401k, or should it be taken with a grain of salt?

Thanks in advance.

dixiecupdrinking

Re: How Accurate are Benefits on NALP Directory?

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:19 pm

Grain of salt. It's probably more likely that someone in the recruiting office checked the wrong 401(k) box on a form than that the firm actually matches. But it might.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:58 pm

There are so many things that entry could mean that aren't matching that it's kind of silly to assume that you would get a match. Even if it were a match it might only be for a very small amount of money.

Not saying it's not possible, just that the entry you read on NALP doesn't mean anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:23 am

my big law firm has a 5% match.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:06 pm

Trust but verify (after you get an offer). I just looked at the form for my firm and there are definitely a couple of benefits that might exist in some form or another but which no associate has gotten to take advantage of in a long time.

majic1984

Postby majic1984 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:04 pm

It clearly says "w/Employer Contribution". Not "w/ Employer Match". My firm contributes 5% to my 401K (as did someone else's firm above). The 5% is an employer contribution....

Return to “Legal Employment”