Published in Law Review print version vs. online supplement

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
OutoftheWoods

Published in Law Review print version vs. online supplement

Postby OutoftheWoods » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:39 pm

I found out that my note is going to be published by my school's law review, but it is unknown at this time whether it will be in our print version or our online supplement (think Columbia Law Review Sidebar). Should I send out my note to other journals to see if it would get printed in print? I assume being published online isn't as great for clerkship purposes, and I don't want to be published online if I have the chance in print elsewhere. Anyone know?

MCFC

Re: Published in Law Review print version vs. online supplement

Postby MCFC » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:42 pm

Apologies if this is obvious and you already know the answer, but are you sure you're allowed to? I know some journals have exclusivity agreements or things like that.

threecharacters

Postby threecharacters » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:46 pm

Yeah, pretty sure you can't preempt yourself (or the law review) by shopping your note to other journals after you've been selected for publication, whether its in print or online.

OutoftheWoods

Postby OutoftheWoods » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:47 pm

MCFC wrote:Apologies if this is obvious and you already know the answer, but are you sure you're allowed to? I know some journals have exclusivity agreements or things like that.

That's fine. I can send it to others but not when i accept an offer of publication with mine, of course. They told me they'd give me about a month to decide.We're still publishing last years notes, luckily.

Lawyerrr

Postby Lawyerrr » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:07 pm

Print is def better than online supplement. I'm assuming you'll submit to other journals as an Article and not as a comment or a note? If you can get published as an Article in a journal, that could be better than as a note/comment in the Columbia Law Review. Or do you just mean other journals at your school?

OutoftheWoods

Postby OutoftheWoods » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:17 pm

Lawyerrr wrote:Print is def better than online supplement. I'm assuming you'll submit to other journals as an Article and not as a comment or a note? If you can get published as an Article in a journal, that could be better than as a note/comment in the Columbia Law Review. Or do you just mean other journals at your school?

Right, getting published as an article would be a better distinction (my research shows basically SOME LRs will consider articles from law students, some will publish them as notes, but most will not accept them). Also, I meant other journals from different schools, yes.

Lawyerrr

Postby Lawyerrr » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:16 am

I think you should just be happy with print or online at your school, to be honest. It'll look good on a resume. It's not worth the effort of opening an Expresso account. A few years back, I was on the selections committee for my law review. People are very snoody and don't think of students' work as worthy of publication. I really think that if Posner were to write an Articld under a stufent's name all of the top journals would reject it.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:24 am

No one will care.

(Unless you're trying for tenure-track positions where your tenure is contingent on X numbers of Y articles.)

Return to “Legal Employment”