Thank You Email

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Thank You Email

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:25 pm

So informational interview went probably the best one could go with an alum without being assured a job.

Send a thank you 24 hours later. no response.

Am i being paranoid - worrying that they didnt respond?

KM2016

Re: Thank You Email

Postby KM2016 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:27 pm

Believe it or not, lawyers are busy. You're being paranoid.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:34 pm

KM2016 wrote:Believe it or not, lawyers are busy. You're being paranoid.

Thanks - I have developed an unbelievable sense of insecurity in law school, despite good grades and such. I dont know what it is. Even this semester, I find myself thinking the first was a fluke, and I will somehow fall far down.

KM2016

Postby KM2016 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks - I have developed an unbelievable sense of insecurity in law school, despite good grades and such. I dont know what it is. Even this semester, I find myself thinking the first was a fluke, and I will somehow fall far down.

Welcome to law school. Live and die by the curve.

Pikappraider

Postby Pikappraider » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:01 pm

Lol what type of response were you looking for, a thank you for the thank you?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:17 pm

People generally don't respond to thank you notes. Don't expect a response. Doesn't mean your email wasn't seen (or perhaps appreciated).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:19 pm

Thank

Big Midlevel
DLA Piper
A Global Law Firm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Dude....this is exactly how I feel. Exactly. It's good to know I'm not the only one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Dude....this is exactly how I feel. Exactly. It's good to know I'm not the only one.

Thanks, all. Yeah - its pretty bad (OP)

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:22 pm

i have sent/not sent in both the OCI and then again in lateral process

probably have sent over 100

ive gotten like a 5% hit rate on replies...ppl dont GAF unless there is something specific to follow-up with you about

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:45 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:i have sent/not sent in both the OCI and then again in lateral process

probably have sent over 100

ive gotten like a 5% hit rate on replies...ppl dont GAF unless there is something specific to follow-up with you about

wow , 5%. I would have figured upwards of 50 at least. Idk, maybe I haven't been busy enough in my professional life before law school, but if someone said thank you, I would generally respond. (OP)

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:48 pm

Thank you for an informational interview? That's a new one.

Don't sweat it though. Probably best not to send them in the future, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:54 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:Thank you for an informational interview? That's a new one.

Partner took the time out of his day to meet with me, showed me around, introduced me to people
he was busy, figured thank you was necessary. I dont see how thats a new one...unless you just enjoy shooting down what people say

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:39 pm

I'm pretty sure the only responses to thank you emails are from the one person who liked you who knows the rest didn't and feels bad. I got one in my life - ding.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:Thank you for an informational interview? That's a new one.

Partner took the time out of his day to meet with me, showed me around, introduced me to people
he was busy, figured thank you was necessary. I dont see how thats a new one...unless you just enjoy shooting down what people say

Sending a thank you in that context is perfectly normal and appropriate. But it's not surprising that you haven't heard back and doesn't mean anything (good or bad).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:11 am

Thanks, help put my mind at ease

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:59 am

might not be helpful anymore, but just to jump on the bandwagon I had about an equal rate of response on thank you notes from attorneys @ firms that did/didn't give me an offer. and it might not even have been 5%.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:

No. I had an informational interview in the fall, after which I was given the opportunity to intern, even though the deadline to apply had already passed and I never once mentioned I wanted to intern.

No thank you email was sent. I'm at the internship as we speak. I honestly do not think a thank you email is necessary, unless you inexplicably forgot to thank them when you were meeting them in person? No reason to thank someone multiple times, in my own opinion.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:15 am

CounselorNebby wrote:No thank you email was sent. I'm at the internship as we speak. I honestly do not think a thank you email is necessary, unless you inexplicably forgot to thank them when you were meeting them in person? No reason to thank someone multiple times, in my own opinion.

Well, I'm glad it worked out for you. It probably doesnt mater either way, like nony said, unless you write something ridiculous

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So informational interview went probably the best one could go with an alum without being assured a job.

Send a thank you 24 hours later. no response.

Am i being paranoid - worrying that they didnt respond?

Senior associate here. Your post reminded me that I did an informational interview in February with a law student, received a nice thank you afterwards, and forgot to respond. The thank you note was appreciated - the problem is that it was one of approximately 30 emails I received to my work account that hour, and almost all of the others required some action on my part. The thank you did not, so I didn't have a chance to respond to it.

When dealing with biglaw or other busy private sector attorneys, you should PRESUME that silence means "general busyness" rather than anything being wrong, unless you have a specific reason to know that you did something to upset the attorney in question. This does not just hold true when you are a law student. When you're a junior associate whose email gets ignored by the busy senior associate or partner, you should assume that there is nothing wrong other than their busyness if you don't receive a response (sometimes juniors freak out that they must have said something really dumb or annoying, and rather than responding to their email, the partner in question deleted it in disgust/forwarded it for other people to laugh at/etc. This is not true 99.9999% of the time.) If you need a response, follow up in person or via email after giving them a reasonable amount of time to respond.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thank

Big Midlevel
DLA Piper
A Global Law Firm

LJL

Can't believe I missed this

Also, whatever anon above said is cr

we get like 400 emails/day

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks - I have developed an unbelievable sense of insecurity in law school...

FYI, this only gets worse when you start practicing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:51 pm

I also think most associates are paranoid of having typos or bad writing, particularly in e-mails they send out. Triple checking e-mails becomes an ingrained habit. They also don't wanna say anything that can suggest you'll get the job, especially if they have limited power. People generally prefer to have informal discussions on the phone/in person.

Return to “Legal Employment”