Is it bad to work at a school clinic over 1L summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is it bad to work at a school clinic over 1L summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:07 pm

It pays $5k and is in a field that I would like to work in after law school. If it wasn't affiliated with my school, I think I wouldn't have any hesitation about taking it, but I feel like it might just look like I failed at getting a 1L job elsewhere.

bearsfan23

Re: Is it bad to work at a school clinic over 1L summer?

Postby bearsfan23 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It pays $5k and is in a field that I would like to work in after law school. If it wasn't affiliated with my school, I think I wouldn't have any hesitation about taking it, but I feel like it might just look like I failed at getting a 1L job elsewhere.

Do you go to Chicago? If so, the summer Clinic jobs are pretty great and I would absolutely recommend it. I mean, just from looking at the WWW list you can see people who have worked at the Clinic 1L summer have had success in getting BigLaw/other 2L summer jobs

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:57 pm

I go to M. I have friends who are in this clinic now and say it's really great, and I'm sure it would be a good experience, I just don't know anything about how a job like that looks to employers.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:59 pm

No one really cares what you do 1L summer. So long as it's something legal, you'll be fine for OCI.

dsn32

Postby dsn32 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:01 pm

Ann Arbor in the summertime is the absolute best. Take it and run.

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:03 pm

Only reason not to is if you want to add ties to another city. For instance, if you're targeting Chicago and you've never lived there, it might help a little bit to work in Chicago this summer. But not much.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:51 pm

Okay awesome thanks hivemind

Return to “Legal Employment”