"Don't accept any other offers in the meantime..."

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"Don't accept any other offers in the meantime..."

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:21 pm

Anyone ever been told this in an interview? I had an interview with a state gov't office for a 2L summer job (no permanent offer expected after clerkship ends).

I have 6 other interviews lined up in the next week and at just want to secure something for summer, then worry about picking the best position once I get more than one offer. None of these are associate-type positions, just minimum wage summer gigs.

Also does this create an oral contract if I'm relying on it reasonably and not pursuing other opportunities?

fanlinxun

Re: "Don't accept any other offers in the meantime..."

Postby fanlinxun » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:32 pm

Nope. Your reliance would not be reasonable because you know that they are under no obligation to give you the offer. Until you get an offer you should keep interviewing (and even then if you want something better). You should also accept an offer that is expiring if you have not heard back from the state agency. You can always renege if you hear back later, but probably shouldn't unless that is a bridge you don't care about burning.
Last edited by fanlinxun on Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:32 pm

This is a pleasantry. If you get another offer, let them know before you accept it.

No, this is not a reliance thing. Because only an idiot would rely on this statement as an offer. Also, don't 1L this...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:38 pm

mr.hands wrote:This is a pleasantry. If you get another offer, let them know before you accept it.

No, this is not a reliance thing. Because only an idiot would rely on this statement as an offer. Also, don't 1L this...

Thanks. Lol, I immediately thought back to 1L and promissory estoppel but it's not like I actually would try and enforce it anyways, I was just wondering. Yeah, I'm still looking, I just don't want to burn bridges if I accept something better.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mr.hands wrote:This is a pleasantry. If you get another offer, let them know before you accept it.

Thanks. Lol, I immediately thought back to 1L and promissory estoppel but it's not like I actually would try and enforce it anyways, I was just wondering. Yeah, I'm still looking, I just don't want to burn bridges if I accept something better.

Although it's a pleasantry it's a really good sign. Not only did they like you, they want to know if you get other offers.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:43 am

Lol. No, it's not a promise. And no, you shouldn't listen. If they want to hire you, they can do it. If they want to wait (probably because they are interviewing other people), they can go fuck themselves if you find a better offer. This is like being friends with benefits with a chick who you want to wife up, and she says, "don't see anybody else, I promise I'll be ready for a relationship before too long," and you being like, "okay, anything for you." 9/10, she's fucking other dudes and taking you for a ride. Don't be that guy.

k5220

Postby k5220 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:18 am

It just means that if you get an offer from a place you don't like as much, you go back to this employer and say "I was recently offered another job and I have until March Whateverth to respond..." and they'll probably try to expedite a decision for you

Return to “Legal Employment”