State court internships for 1L summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

State court internships for 1L summer

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:51 pm

Anyone have any general thoughts on state court internships, particularly for intermediate courts? Are they generally an acceptable 1L summer gig for someone wanting to do biglaw lit? I never hear anyone talk about state trial/appellate court internships IRL or on TLS.

It looks like I'm close to exhausting my chances for a paid gig this summer, and I've got an option to do this in my home region where I can live for free. Appreciate any thoughts!

mvp99

Re: State court internships for 1L summer

Postby mvp99 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:03 pm

Yes. Anything legal, doesn't matter.

Avian

Postby Avian » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:58 pm

mvp99 wrote:Yes. Anything legal, doesn't matter.

This needs to branded into the minds of all 1Ls. OP, to set your mind at ease, I specifically know of someone who worked for a state trial level judge and got biglaw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:03 pm

OK. Thanks dudes.

Related: in the off chance I do end up getting a paid offer, I assume reneging on a flyover state intermediate court judge is less of a big deal?

Avian

Postby Avian » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Related: in the off chance I do end up getting a paid offer, I assume reneging on a flyover state intermediate court judge is less of a big deal?

There's a chance that you will burn that bridge. It's up to you if you want to do that or not.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:OK. Thanks dudes.

Related: in the off chance I do end up getting a paid offer, I assume reneging on a flyover state intermediate court judge is less of a big deal?

I would accept and stop putting any effort in getting a paid job. (if that's what you plan to do)

Return to “Legal Employment”