Phoenix

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Phoenix

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:35 pm

Can anyone give advice on where a good place to live in Phoenix in the summer would be? Or at least where I should be looking? I'll be interning at the US District Court there so something somewhere in the vicinity. Would want it furnished also.

Shaggier1

Re: Phoenix

Postby Shaggier1 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:13 pm

Can anyone give advice on where a good place to live in Phoenix in the summer would be? Or at least where I should be looking? I'll be interning at the US District Court there so something somewhere in the vicinity. Would want it furnished also.

If you can't find something that is itself within walking distance, look for something along Central Ave. (but South of Camelback). That way you can hop right on the Light Rail (then it is just about an 8 minute walk to the Courthouse).

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:01 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:

If you can't find something that is itself within walking distance, look for something along Central Ave. (but South of Camelback). That way you can hop right on the Light Rail (then it is just about an 8 minute walk to the Courthouse).

Good luck walking 8 minutes in 120 degree heat while wearing business dress (note that OP said that this is a summer internship). I'd just plan on driving, personally. It's Phoenix, not NYC.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:15 am

yeah I'd probably shoot for driving. If you have a car you can stay in plenty of places

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:36 am

Thank you all for the advice. I'll be taking my car for sure. Any other places I should also check out other than central avenue that would be very affordable but still a decent place?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:53 am

Tempe is a reasonable commute to downtown. Anything north of downtown in central phoenix is basically fine. I'd probably avoid the western suburbs and Scottsdale as these places are pretty far or in the case of Scottsdale will be more expensive than you need. South Phoenix is pretty crappy and should be avoided.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:03 pm

Good luck walking 8 minutes in 120 degree heat while wearing business dress (note that OP said that this is a summer internship). I'd just plan on driving, personally. It's Phoenix, not NYC.

I am a current clerk in the same courthouse. Parking closeby is very difficult and there is virtually no chance a summer extern will get a parking space in the building (so s/he will likely end up with a 5-8 minute walk anyway). OP can do what I did last summer: leave all your jackets and ties (if male) in the office, leave for work before 8, and go home after 5. Still hot? Definitely. But not unbearable.

Also, it won't be 120 in phoenix. In fact, it has never been 120 in Phoenix.(http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/0 ... e-records/). Most summer days it will get up to 105 or so. That is definitely hot, but when we are talking about marginal increases above 100, 14 additional degrees makes a big difference.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:30 pm

^ 120 was my being sarcastic. Phoenix is hotter than hell. It sucks that there's no easy to find parking nearby that courthouse.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:36 pm

Except the record high in Phoenix is 122.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:47 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Except the record high in Phoenix is 122.

Yeah 115 happens every year. It'll be over 105 a lot

Return to “Legal Employment”