Small Firm Salary?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Small Firm Salary?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:58 pm

Hello all, I just accepted an offer to work at a small 30 person firm in a very secondary low COL market (think 200k) fr my 1L summer. The gig pays 1200 a week, which feels like a lot but obviously is not when expanded to an annual salary. I'm really excited to work there, the firm seems relatively impressive. The firm is a civil litigation firm (possibly a boutique, though I don't want to play on the boutique fetishization) that deals pretty exclusively with institutional and corporate client. Half of the partners are from local TTT's (generally with honors) and the other half are from T-14's with good credentials. In regards to the associates, they're either like magna or summa at local schools or from T-14's and are the ex-big law types. If you extend the 1L summer pay you end with like a 60k salary, which is pretty modest. Though I know that some firms pay 1L's a lower rate than 2L's and new associates. Hoping that's the case. Anyways, anyone have any idea what a place like this could pay full time and long term?

kalvano

Re: Small Firm Salary?

Postby kalvano » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:51 pm

How on Earth would anyone here know that? It's entirely dependent on the firm.

You should probably assume they pay right about $60,000 and work from that.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:52 pm

kalvano wrote:How on Earth would anyone here know that? It's entirely dependent on the firm.

Or, you know, ask them.

michael2015

Postby michael2015 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:55 pm

Ask them? That's almost an adult thing to do, that's crazy talk Markin.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:57 pm

I am in Portland and firms around your size that I have interviewed with pay 75k a year starting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:58 pm

OP here, I could ask them I suppose. Seems a little awkwardly upfront considering I'm a 1L and am admittedly luck to have the gigbut maybe I'm just imagining that. And I obv don't expect exact numbers, just any observations people might have regarding salaries at firms like the one I mentioned.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:13 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
kalvano wrote:How on Earth would anyone here know that? It's entirely dependent on the firm.

Or, you know, ask them.

I would ask if an offer was extended, but not until then.

Return to “Legal Employment”