When to start freaking out about upcoming SA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

When to start freaking out about upcoming SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:02 pm

So I have an SA lined up that I accepted over the phone but have not heard anything from the firm since. Am I being paranoid or do I have good reason to be concerned about not having received anything in writing yet (i.e. no emails or anything)? I guess I'm afraid of the case where I eventually call/email to see what's up and they say all their spots are filled etc. and simply refuse to acknowledge my acceptance since technically there's no evidence of it. If i'm being ridiculous please let me know. Thanks!

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Re: When to start freaking out about upcoming SA?

Postby bjsesq » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I have an SA lined up that I accepted over the phone but have not heard anything from the firm since. Am I being paranoid or do I have good reason to be concerned about not having received anything in writing yet (i.e. no emails or anything)? I guess I'm afraid of the case where I eventually call/email to see what's up and they say all their spots are filled etc. and simply refuse to acknowledge my acceptance since technically there's no evidence of it. If i'm being ridiculous please let me know. Thanks!

You're being ridiculous, IT'S FUCKING FEBRUARY

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I have an SA lined up that I accepted over the phone but have not heard anything from the firm since. Am I being paranoid or do I have good reason to be concerned about not having received anything in writing yet (i.e. no emails or anything)? I guess I'm afraid of the case where I eventually call/email to see what's up and they say all their spots are filled etc. and simply refuse to acknowledge my acceptance since technically there's no evidence of it. If i'm being ridiculous please let me know. Thanks!

You mean nothing other than the offer acceptance receipt right? The letter they send after you accept. You did get that right.

I highly doubt they'll forget you after acknowledging your acceptance.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:25 pm

Just email the recruiter if you're worried? Use the pretext of asking if they need your fall grades or something.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:You mean nothing other than the offer acceptance receipt right? The letter they send after you accept. You did get that right.

I highly doubt they'll forget you after acknowledging your acceptance.

:lol: :lol:
-OP

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:33 pm

bjsesq wrote:You're being ridiculous, IT'S FUCKING FEBRUARY

Good to know!
-OP

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:53 pm

I had the same concerns last year. You're fine . The SA coordinators haven't forgotten, there just isn't a reason to contact the SA class now. They'll reach out in march or April to give you basic/useless info

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:54 pm

mr.hands wrote:I had the same concerns last year. You're fine . The SA coordinators haven't forgotten, there just isn't a reason to contact the SA class now. They'll reach out in march or April to give you basic/useless info

Didn't you get fucked to death by a horse?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:55 pm

bjsesq wrote:
mr.hands wrote:I had the same concerns last year. You're fine . The SA coordinators haven't forgotten, there just isn't a reason to contact the SA class now. They'll reach out in march or April to give you basic/useless info

Didn't you get fucked to death by a horse?

Yeah on second thought, don't listen to anything I say

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:36 pm

I'm in the same boat. Accepted over the phone, haven't heard anything since not even an email/letter after I accepted. I was told over the phone that they would be sending out info in March though so I guess it's not surprising not to have heard anything.

KM2016

Postby KM2016 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:00 pm

Kind of strange that they didn't have you sign a formal acceptance letter after your verbal acceptance. I thought that was the industry standard.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:14 pm

KM2016 wrote:Kind of strange that they didn't have you sign a formal acceptance letter after your verbal acceptance. I thought that was the industry standard.

When I got my offer, I asked if I should expect written confirmation, and the partner offered to send a brief email if it would make me feel better. He followed that up by mentioning that he didn't hear from his 2L firm after he got an offer until a week before he started. So apparently the verbal offer has been around for a long time.

Pikappraider

Postby Pikappraider » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:45 pm

KM2016 wrote:Kind of strange that they didn't have you sign a formal acceptance letter after your verbal acceptance. I thought that was the industry standard.

Nah I just had the phone call and they mailed me a letter. I didn't have to sign though

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:51 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:

When I got my offer, I asked if I should expect written confirmation, and the partner offered to send a brief email if it would make me feel better. He followed that up by mentioning that he didn't hear from his 2L firm after he got an offer until a week before he started. So apparently the verbal offer has been around for a long time.

Mostly because a written offer or signed acceptance means virtually nothing. Associates are, with almost no exceptions, at-will employees. Your signed acceptance and their written offer give you no legal recourse at all. You're not signing a contract or anything, you're just acknowledging receipt of some information about the job you may or might not have later on.

I suspect the only reason they have you sign anything when you're given a full-time offer to come back is because they're going to be paying for your bar fees / giving you an advance or stipend for the summer. You're usually agreeing that if you leave before 1 year, you're going to pay that back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:57 am

No, this partner told me it has something to do with the state Kx law. They never gave out written forms to the incoming SA in their office. I have no idea because I only got C+ in Kx.

generaltoast

Postby generaltoast » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:58 pm

If your'e worried, think up a simple question to email and ask the recruiter. Mine was whether the firm has a designated start date for the SA program yet.

Dafaq

Postby Dafaq » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:11 pm

Do nothing. It's all good.

Return to “Legal Employment”