Post-Graduation Benefits at Different Law Firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Post-Graduation Benefits at Different Law Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:37 am

So I've been surprised at how different they are, and I thought it might be useful to list them. A lot of this is just stuff I've heard, so please correct if wrong. I guess basically the important thing might be which firms do a stipend v. a pay advance.

Also, a question: for those who are getting stipends rather than advances, do you also get a pro-rated bonus at the end of the year?

Davis Polk (NYC)
Bar and Bar prep fees.
Pays $2500 for broker's fee and for reasonable moving expenses.
$7500 advance.

Debevoise (NYC)
Same as Davis Polk, basically.
Maybe a $10,000 advance??

Skadden (NYC)
Bar and bar prep fees.
Does not pay broker's fee.
$10000 advance (I think?)

Paul Hastings (NYC)
No Bar or bar prep fees.
$16,000 stipend (does not have to be repaid).

Anonymous User

Re: Post-Graduation Benefits at Different Law Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:45 am

STB is strangely missing from that list. Anon because I'll be summering there.

BearLaw

Postby BearLaw » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:35 pm

A decent amount of that data is out of date. There are several instances where policies have changed re what moving expenses will be reimbursed and the amount of stipend/bonus/other remuneration has gone up for at least several firms listed.

It is a good place to start, but it is incomplete.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:STB is strangely missing from that list. Anon because I'll be summering there.

STB gave a $9000 advance to the Class of 2013. Not sure if it's gone up since then given the reference to $10,000 in the OP. Bar prep and bar fees covered, and all moving expenses (no cap), but only if you don't already live in New York (so nothing if you're at NYU/CLS/Fordham/etc. and decide to move; not sure how this applies to non-NY offices). Stub-year bonuses are pro-rated to the period you were at the firm.

You have to pay back the remaining portion of the advance if you leave within twelve months (and it's repaid over those twelve months out of your salary). No repayment of moving expenses.

Return to “Legal Employment”