best "vacations" to take as a junior associate?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TFALAWL

best "vacations" to take as a junior associate?

Postby TFALAWL » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:03 pm

I took a cruise the summer after I graduated college --> no cellular access of any sort. FTW, amirite?

Anonymous User

Re: best "vacations" to take as a junior associate?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:42 am

If you're at a firm that isn't total shit, you get coverage when you go on vacation and don't need to worry about how accessible you are because someone else will handle it, and people won't even bother trying to contact you.

Less true the more senior you are but 100% true as a junior.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:If you're at a firm that isn't total shit, you get coverage when you go on vacation and don't need to worry about how accessible you are because someone else will handle it, and people won't even bother trying to contact you.

Less true the more senior you are but 100% true as a junior.

Ditto. I am at a busy V-5 where I bill over 200 hours per month and this is absolutely true. I remember getting ready for my first vacation by letting everyone know where I would be and trying to appear as available as possible. I went into it fully prepared to have to squeeze in work at every turn, but I was completely wrong. I didn't get a single email to deal with the entire ten days off.

Lesson from this is that you are completely fungible as a junior and you should take advantage of that reality. There may be a day when you are actually something close to crucial (although I don't even think most partners are necessarily at that level), but until then you should enjoy your holidays as legit time off. It's the only way that you will be able to put up with the other 340 days a year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:39 am

I suppose I should clarify that "total shit" includes a number of otherwise well-regarded firms (*cough* Kirkland, but they're not the only ones, just the most notorious) that require you to "arrange your own coverage", which really means you basically don't get coverage and will probably be working through your vacation unless by coincidence you went on vacation at a slow moment. For places like that, "lol, I was in the Amazon rainforest" wouldn't cut it as an excuse anyway.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:I suppose I should clarify that "total shit" includes a number of otherwise well-regarded firms (*cough* Kirkland, but they're not the only ones, just the most notorious) that require you to "arrange your own coverage", which really means you basically don't get coverage and will probably be working through your vacation unless by coincidence you went on vacation at a slow moment. For places like that, "lol, I was in the Amazon rainforest" wouldn't cut it as an excuse anyway.

WTF

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:48 pm

I dunno, totally depends on who you are working with as well. Some shithead midlevel may ask you to circulate a conference call dial-in while you're on the beach. It is nice to be able to say "sorry! Didn't see your email because I was out of the country, as I told you."

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:52 pm

Ideally you live somewhere that is close access to fun spots so that when work is slow, you take a Friday-Monday off, and pay the premium for the last-minute flights. If you're on east coast, you go to beaches in Florida or wine-tasting in Charlottesville or exploring another big city. If you're in SoCal, you do NorCal, and vice versa. Try to take advantage of the weekends that you have slow instead of just sitting around (at least go explore your own city/area).

But then once a year, hopefully you block out 4-6 days to take off from work for your "big" trip. That might be Europe or some islands or who knows where. Those you will have to tell in advance to your supervisors and remind them of it constantly. hopefully during those times, you are picking up slack when others on your team are doing their vacations to build up some credit. hopefully work is not too crazy and you're on a deal big enough to have someone replace your duties.

When it comes down to it, if you're doing good work and you're open about when you're gone, they should be able to find a way to replace you. That being said, it seems definitely more difficult to do this 1) on smaller deals where team is small and 2) capital markets deals (they seem to be staffed smaller and also seem to come out of the middle of nowhere).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:07 pm

Partner at my firm (recently made) told me that he was an associate at another firm. Two days before his wedding, a senior partner told him he would have to cancel wedding and reschedule because he was required for deal that sprang up. Next day (day before wedding) he was able to find someone to cover for him. Next day he got married.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Partner at my firm (recently made) told me that he was an associate at another firm. Two days before his wedding, a senior partner told him he would have to cancel wedding and reschedule because he was required for deal that sprang up. Next day (day before wedding) he was able to find someone to cover for him. Next day he got married.

The story sounds apocryphal, but if anything like this does happen, I hope y'all realize that the correct answer is: "No, I'm not rescheduling my wedding." I don't care if it's the fucking founding partner of the firm; there are times when you've got to stand your ground about shit, and a wedding day is one of those times.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:38 am

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Partner at my firm (recently made) told me that he was an associate at another firm. Two days before his wedding, a senior partner told him he would have to cancel wedding and reschedule because he was required for deal that sprang up. Next day (day before wedding) he was able to find someone to cover for him. Next day he got married.

The story sounds apocryphal, but if anything like this does happen, I hope y'all realize that the correct answer is: "No, I'm not rescheduling my wedding." I don't care if it's the fucking founding partner of the firm; there are times when you've got to stand your ground about shit, and a wedding day is one of those times.

Yup. Although, the willingness to consider the demand, or even to spend the time trying to find someone to cover, shows you a lot about the mentality you need to make partner (i.e. you don't care if everyone who loves you will leave).

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:54 am

rpupkin wrote:

Any response other than "sorry, this is my wedding, and I'm not rescheduling" is completely spineless and speaks volumes about the doormat taking the command. Someone like that is never going to be respected.

Return to “Legal Employment”