Office-Space Schwag Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: Office-Space Schwag

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
catinthewall wrote:Somewhat related:

What do you bring in to have in your office? I don't have much in my current office, but it's a clerkship, so I am only here for a little while. I'm thinking ahead to my next office in NYC. Should I bring my framed JD and bar wall certificate? Books? Art? Plants? Thanks in advance.
Bar certificate and JD are weird. Every attorney has them, and you're not a doctor trying to impress laypeople in your office every day. The only people who will visit your office are other lawyers and other law firm employees. Different story I guess if you're at a small firm where you actually do get laypeople in to discuss their will or something on a regular basis. Everything else mentioned is normal.
Almost every person in biglaw and in government has their diploma and bar certificate on the wall. It's not weird but rather the norm. It has nothing to do with trying to impress people (for most people)--it's about being a part of a profession. Even very senior partners usually have it up on the wall. Although it's also perfectly fine not to have it if you prefer.
I work in biglaw and have never seen a diploma or bar certificate on the wall. Maybe this is a regional thing?
Agreed. It wouldn't be totally weird but it's not the norm in my experience. NYC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:43 pm

Funny. I've seen it everywhere I've worked, in 3 western states.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:28 pm

What about mini-fridges. You allowed to have them in your office?

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:41 am

Every attorney in my office has their JD and bar certificate. I think it's more about not having the office look so empty.

Strangely Appealing

New

Post by Strangely Appealing » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:00 am

Lacepiece23 wrote:What about mini-fridges. You allowed to have them in your office?
Office mini fridges were so popular among AUSAs at one point that they were knocking the electricity bills through the roof. Wait 'til you're on site to find out what's allowed unless you'd like yours to become your nightstand at home.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”