Office-Space Schwag

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TFALAWL

Office-Space Schwag

Postby TFALAWL » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:38 pm

Do big-firms provide you with office supplies and desk, or do they give you a budget to get your own.... I hope the latter: check out this bad boy
http://www.wired.com/2014/11/ikea-bekant-desk/

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Re: Office-Space Schwag

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:43 pm

I figured the standing desk fad would be over

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:04 pm

How does a standing desk work in your office, DF? Can you just request it?

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How does a standing desk work in your office, DF? Can you just request it?

My firm is too cheap to give you one. But I've heard of others where you can request it.

But several people have bought their own.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:18 pm

not a fad DF they're pretty fucking great

yeah you look weird as shit but oh well

catinthewall

Postby catinthewall » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:25 am

Some of the staff attorneys in our federal courthouse recently got fancy-schmancy, adjustable standing desks because of the whole use-it-or-lose-it approach to the annual budget. (A few of those attorneys said "thanks, but no thanks," but the desks were forced upon them anyway. Because federal budget.) They are pretty sweet. Now they can deny habeas petitions while standing in Tree.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:46 am

Ron Don Volante wrote:not a fad DF they're pretty fucking great

Any chance you can get your firm to pay for the standing desk b/c being unable to sit down for 12 hours is a disability?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:02 pm

I don't know about firms, but in the federal government if you can get your doctor to certify that you need a standing desk for your back, they'll buy you a nice one.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:04 pm

mvp99 wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:not a fad DF they're pretty fucking great

Any chance you can get your firm to pay for the standing desk b/c being unable to sit down for 12 hours is a disability?

1L so IDK; had one at my pre-ls job

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:07 pm

My firm just bought everyone adjustable standing desks and it's like a little bit of Heaven reached down and touched the Earth ever so gently.

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Everyone I know with adjustable desks use it for like 3 weeks and then slowly stop. After 2 months it might as well be always down.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:24 pm

This seems relevant - some current thoughts on the benefits of standing at work:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/health-experts-recommend-standing-up-at-desk-leavi,37957/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:39 pm

We have adjustable standing desks by default in some offices, not in others. It's a bit random. The firm will buy you one if your office doesn't have one, but you have to provide a doctor's note saying you are physically able to stand up for at least 11 hours straight (which is hilarious).

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:55 pm

If you can, get a desk you can motor up and down. Sometimes you just don't want to sit down and sometimes you just don't want to stand. But being able to choose either is the greatest thing.

catinthewall

Postby catinthewall » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:07 pm

Somewhat related:

What do you bring in to have in your office? I don't have much in my current office, but it's a clerkship, so I am only here for a little while. I'm thinking ahead to my next office in NYC. Should I bring my framed JD and bar wall certificate? Books? Art? Plants? Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:47 am

catinthewall wrote:Somewhat related:

What do you bring in to have in your office? I don't have much in my current office, but it's a clerkship, so I am only here for a little while. I'm thinking ahead to my next office in NYC. Should I bring my framed JD and bar wall certificate? Books? Art? Plants? Thanks in advance.

Bar certificate and JD are weird. Every attorney has them, and you're not a doctor trying to impress laypeople in your office every day. The only people who will visit your office are other lawyers and other law firm employees. Different story I guess if you're at a small firm where you actually do get laypeople in to discuss their will or something on a regular basis. Everything else mentioned is normal.

Ron Mexico

Postby Ron Mexico » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:57 am

whats so great about a standing desk? seems dumb

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:02 am

Ron Mexico wrote:whats so great about a standing desk? seems dumb

Don't you have to chop your own wood in winter or something? You probably don't need one, but sitting for 8 hours every day isn't good for you.

And I would say about 80% of people in my government office have their law school diplomas and bar admissions framed in their office. Most federal judges whose chambers I've seen do, too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Bar certificate and JD are weird. Every attorney has them, and you're not a doctor trying to impress laypeople in your office every day. The only people who will visit your office are other lawyers and other law firm employees. Different story I guess if you're at a small firm where you actually do get laypeople in to discuss their will or something on a regular basis. Everything else mentioned is normal.

Almost every person in biglaw and in government has their diploma and bar certificate on the wall. It's not weird but rather the norm. It has nothing to do with trying to impress people (for most people)--it's about being a part of a profession. Even very senior partners usually have it up on the wall. Although it's also perfectly fine not to have it if you prefer.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:12 am

I don't think I ever actually opened my bar certificate. Pretty sure it's still in the mailing tube.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Every office I went into during callbacks had their JD on the wall at least, many had bar certificates as well. I never thought of it as "trying to impress" anyone, just seems the norm for any profession requiring advanced degrees.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Almost every person in biglaw and in government has their diploma and bar certificate on the wall. It's not weird but rather the norm. It has nothing to do with trying to impress people (for most people)--it's about being a part of a profession. Even very senior partners usually have it up on the wall. Although it's also perfectly fine not to have it if you prefer.

I work in biglaw and have never seen a diploma or bar certificate on the wall. Maybe this is a regional thing?

catinthewall

Postby catinthewall » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I work in biglaw and have never seen a diploma or bar certificate on the wall. Maybe this is a regional thing?

I'm going to BigFed (DOJ) in NYC, not BigLaw. Sounds like it varies from office-to-office. Guess I'll wait and see what the other attorneys have when I get there. Thanks!

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:08 pm

I'd like to put my JD and bar admission in my office, but I've been too cheap to get them framed. Mostly because there isn't anywhere else I'd like to put them (I certainly don't want them up in my home).

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:38 pm

I think most attorneys I've seen have their diplomas on the wall, in firms and in government. Academia too, now that I think about it.
Not sure about bar certificates.

I probably wouldn't bother if I were there just for a year clerkship, though.

Return to “Legal Employment”