BigLaw - Worth it?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: BigLaw - Worth it?

Postby wanderer » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:37 am

It depends on what you want to do in life. I want to be an AUSA. Part of me thought I should start as a DA and then apply in a few years. Instead I went to biglaw. I've been in a handful of AUSA interviews, and they all generally think "okay, you worked at [well known biglaw firm], you're probably a very solid writer and you have probably had good training on some complex cases." I think biglaw is a good signaling device to show that you can research and write, which is important to most legal jobs. So, if you can't land your dream job out of law school, biglaw is a good place to make some money and spend time until you can get into your dream job and, generally, your dream job will think you are well trained because of your time in biglaw.

I have a wife and kids. I'm a mid-level. There have been some tough stretches, but my attitude is family first. It's easy to have that attitude when you don't plan to make partner.

Return to “Legal Employment”