1L USAO Intern Experiences

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L USAO Intern Experiences

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:26 pm

Will be interning at the USAO this summer in the criminal division and wanted to see if others who have also interned there would like to share their experiences. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: 1L USAO Intern Experiences

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:52 pm

Currently interning in the civil division, but I think you probably do a lot of the same stuff. It's been great so far, going to court hearings, maybe a couple trials, and sitting in on depositions. As far as work assignments go, so far I've done some research memos and prepared pretrial motions. All the attorneys have such different professional backgrounds, but are all really experienced and accomplished so it's a really unique learning experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:36 am

OP - Congrats. Had an interview a week ago today, waiting to hear back. How long ago was your interview? Did they call or e-mail with offer? Sorry to kinda derail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP - Congrats. Had an interview a week ago today, waiting to hear back. How long ago was your interview? Did they call or e-mail with offer? Sorry to kinda derail.

OP here. Thanks. My interview was about 20min long and pretty casual, talked about a wide array of topics. They emailed with an offer.

Oops, misread your post. It was over winter break, before Christmas.

calverna

Postby calverna » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:34 pm

I interned last (my 1L) summer at a USAO in an east coast city (not DC or NY). My office let interns choose if they wanted to be assigned to the civil or criminal division, or be split between both. I opted to split and had a great time.

I think every office is their own little island insofar as how they use their interns though, and the same goes for different divisions and the specific attorney you are working for/with. One AUSA was proactive about asking me what I wanted to work on and I ended up drafting a significant part of a summary judgment brief for that AUSA. I received substantive feedback on it and went through three rounds of editing to get it just right, which was amazing. I also sat in on the depositions for that case and helped prepare our witnesses for depositions. That was atypical though. Another AUSA used me as a glorified paralegal and had me run basic WL searches and put the relevant cases in a Word document. Other than that I did a lot of research and wrote a lot of memos. They also gave us a lot of free time to do what we wanted. If there was a cool trial or hearing going on at the courthouse we were encouraged to go check it out and they kept us looped in on neat stuff. The AUSA running the internship program also had a schedule of events and things to do throughout the internship, ranging from meeting with judges to spending a full day at a federal law enforcement training facility. It really was an amazing experience.

Like I said, though, I'm not sure any of this is representative of other offices. I really think it depends on your office and how they run their program, but based on my experience I would definitely recommend interning at the USAO.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:00 pm

calverna wrote:I interned last (my 1L) summer at a USAO in an east coast city (not DC or NY). My office let interns choose if they wanted to be assigned to the civil or criminal division, or be split between both. I opted to split and had a great time.

I think every office is their own little island insofar as how they use their interns though, and the same goes for different divisions and the specific attorney you are working for/with. One AUSA was proactive about asking me what I wanted to work on and I ended up drafting a significant part of a summary judgment brief for that AUSA. I received substantive feedback on it and went through three rounds of editing to get it just right, which was amazing. I also sat in on the depositions for that case and helped prepare our witnesses for depositions. That was atypical though. Another AUSA used me as a glorified paralegal and had me run basic WL searches and put the relevant cases in a Word document. Other than that I did a lot of research and wrote a lot of memos. They also gave us a lot of free time to do what we wanted. If there was a cool trial or hearing going on at the courthouse we were encouraged to go check it out and they kept us looped in on neat stuff. The AUSA running the internship program also had a schedule of events and things to do throughout the internship, ranging from meeting with judges to spending a full day at a federal law enforcement training facility. It really was an amazing experience.

Like I said, though, I'm not sure any of this is representative of other offices. I really think it depends on your office and how they run their program, but based on my experience I would definitely recommend interning at the USAO.

That sounds awesome. Thanks for the responses

Avian

Postby Avian » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:20 pm

I worked for a judge last summer, but the criminal division USAO interns in my district also got to stand up on arraignments which I thought was pretty cool. Most of them are pretty straightforward, but there was one public defender who tried to get their client out on bail despite a pending extradition proceeding and the intern did a great job raising all the right arguments. Seemed like a great experience to be able to actually argue something in front of a federal judge, even if it was only an arraignment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:38 pm

I was provisionally licensed as a 3L at the USAO, and fortuitous circumstances (AUSA left on short notice) led to me getting to 2nd chair a week-long trial. I also did the magistrate docket a few times, which involves things like people disturbing the peace at federal buildings, violating regs at federal parks, etc. It was great experience. I think my experience was atypically awesome, but I'd still recommend it to anyone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:45 pm

Sounds awesome!

Return to “Legal Employment”