Will DOD Honors Internship lead to a real job offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Will DOD Honors Internship lead to a real job offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:22 pm

I have been offered a DOD Honors Internship for my 1L summer.

Even if I manage to get hired again for my 2L summer, what are the odds this will actually turn into a real job post-graduation?

Anonymous User

Re: Will DOD Honors Internship lead to a real job offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:27 pm

You will still have to apply through the Honors Program in 3L but if you work there 1L (and maybe 2L) it will show a strong commitment to gov work. I wanna say that the odds are "good but not guaranteed" especially given that the Honors Programs takes different numbers each year (post bar).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:30 am

most importantly you will have to wait until after you graduate to find out which many people find to be a dealbreaker, b.c it means forgoing any OCI-related recruitment offers.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:38 am

Does DOD even hire entry level attorneys for permanent positions through a 3L honors program? I haven't seen them offer one, and the current description for the summer honors program states "No opportunity for conversion to a permanent position."

If they had a 3L Honors program, then you could apply for a permanent job and find out before you graduate.

But it seems they don't, they probably don't hire entry level and you would have to get additional experience first.

Return to “Legal Employment”