Does MoFo provide Blackberries for summer associates?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Does MoFo provide Blackberries for summer associates?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:18 pm

Does MoFo provide Blackberries for summer associates, and if so, how often are urgent calls in the evenings/weekends? Can we use a Windows phone?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Does MoFo provide Blackberries for summer associates?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:35 pm

I'm also curious about this. Do most major biglaw firms provide mobile phones to its SAs?

BearLaw
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: Does MoFo provide Blackberries for summer associates?

Postby BearLaw » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does MoFo provide Blackberries for summer associates, and if so, how often are urgent calls in the evenings/weekends? Can we use a Windows phone?


Is there no one at the, you know, firm you will be working at that you can ask? Presumably that would be easier that asking an online peanut gallery, but what do I know.

You will likely get a phone, or be able to use an app on your own device to get work emails.

Please dont delude yourself into thinking there will be any urgent calls coming to you during your summer.

scholarlyprance
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 6:59 pm

Re: Does MoFo provide Blackberries for summer associates?

Postby scholarlyprance » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:23 am

BearLaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does MoFo provide Blackberries for summer associates, and if so, how often are urgent calls in the evenings/weekends? Can we use a Windows phone?


Is there no one at the, you know, firm you will be working at that you can ask? Presumably that would be easier that asking an online peanut gallery, but what do I know.

You will likely get a phone, or be able to use an app on your own device to get work emails.

Please dont delude yourself into thinking there will be any urgent calls coming to you during your summer.


lol'ing trying to imagine what an "urgent" call to a SA would be

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Does MoFo provide Blackberries for summer associates?

Postby mr.hands » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:24 am

I worked at two firms in my 2L summer and I've never heard of this. Maybe my experience was atypical. I can't think of any rational reason for giving blackberries to SAs for 10 weeks. The partners aren't going to call an SA back to the office at 10pm. You (and all SAs) are largely useless. Your time isn't billed and summers don't have any skills.

(The above applies to all of us law students, me maybe more than anyone)

v5junior
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:31 am

Re: Does MoFo provide Blackberries for summer associates?

Postby v5junior » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:42 am

I can't speak for MoFo (and I second the suggestion to ask someone from your firm), but I know multiple firms in the V10 that do provide blackberries for the summer associates.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Does MoFo provide Blackberries for summer associates?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:46 am

MoFo associate here. Yes, the firm will provide you with a phone. Attorneys started getting iPhones in spring of 2014, so you may get an iPhone instead of a Blackberry. Last summer's class got Blackberrys, and I'm not sure when they'll be phased out.

And no, you will not get an urgent call as a SA. The point is to enjoy your summer, meet people at the firm, and get a flavor of the work. You may get an email in the evening or weekend because that's when the supervising attorney has time to follow-up, but you wouldn't be expected to work over the nights or weekends as a summer. The phone is mainly useful to monitor email when you're enjoying awesome lunches or otherwise away from your desk.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Does MoFo provide Blackberries for summer associates?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:50 am

My not MoFo firm provided a data only blackberry for work e-mails during the summer. Somewhat oddly, they also sent the bills for the phone to me directly at the office. I think there was some understanding that personal use was supposed to be paid for (if you did make calls or roam). I never bothered to review the bills with anyone.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Does MoFo provide Blackberries for summer associates?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:My not MoFo firm provided a data only blackberry for work e-mails during the summer. Somewhat oddly, they also sent the bills for the phone to me directly at the office. I think there was some understanding that personal use was supposed to be paid for (if you did make calls or roam). I never bothered to review the bills with anyone.


MoFo associate again. This is true for MoFo too -- data only. Never received the bills though...

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15464
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Does MoFo provide Blackberries for summer associates?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:25 am

mr.hands wrote:I worked at two firms in my 2L summer and I've never heard of this. Maybe my experience was atypical. I can't think of any rational reason for giving blackberries to SAs for 10 weeks. The partners aren't going to call an SA back to the office at 10pm. You (and all SAs) are largely useless. Your time isn't billed and summers don't have any skills.

(The above applies to all of us law students, me maybe more than anyone)

Sounds like your experience was atypical.

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Does MoFo provide Blackberries for summer associates?

Postby mr.hands » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:18 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
mr.hands wrote:I worked at two firms in my 2L summer and I've never heard of this. Maybe my experience was atypical. I can't think of any rational reason for giving blackberries to SAs for 10 weeks. The partners aren't going to call an SA back to the office at 10pm. You (and all SAs) are largely useless. Your time isn't billed and summers don't have any skills.

(The above applies to all of us law students, me maybe more than anyone)

Sounds like your experience was atypical.


Yeah. It seems to strange to give SAs a blackberry only for the data package during their 10 week summer. How many firms do this?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Does MoFo provide Blackberries for summer associates?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:33 pm

Cleary does this.

gfd973
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Does MoFo provide Blackberries for summer associates?

Postby gfd973 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:41 pm

scholarlyprance wrote:
BearLaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does MoFo provide Blackberries for summer associates, and if so, how often are urgent calls in the evenings/weekends? Can we use a Windows phone?


Is there no one at the, you know, firm you will be working at that you can ask? Presumably that would be easier that asking an online peanut gallery, but what do I know.

You will likely get a phone, or be able to use an app on your own device to get work emails.

Please dont delude yourself into thinking there will be any urgent calls coming to you during your summer.


lol'ing trying to imagine what an "urgent" call to a SA would be


"This client newsletter on the Changing Landscape of Cov-Lite was supposed to go out yesterday!"

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Does MoFo provide Blackberries for summer associates?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:29 pm

I summered at Sullivan & Cromwell (not recently) and they provided data-only BBs to summers that year. I think it was mostly to get us into the habit of using them. I can't remember receiving any "urgent" off-hours emails as a summer.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.