Summer associate with no health insurance?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer associate with no health insurance?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:46 pm

PH does not provide health insurance for summer associate. Is this the case with any other top firms?

rinkrat19

Re: Summer associate with no health insurance?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:53 pm

I haven't heard of any firm providing insurance for summers. Don't you have insurance through your school or parents?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:07 pm

When do you find out what benefits your summer program will offer you? Does it come with the official letter?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When do you find out what benefits your summer program will offer you? Does it come with the official letter?

It is on PH website.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:36 pm

I've never heard of firms offering benefits like health insurance to SAs (because It's only 10-12 weeks). I assumed they treat SAs like independent contractors.

bearsfan23

Postby bearsfan23 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:39 pm

How are you a law student without health insurance? I wasn't even aware there were law schools that would let you enroll without it

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:47 pm

bearsfan23 wrote:How are you a law student without health insurance? I wasn't even aware there were law schools that would let you enroll without it

I have, just a shitty one with high copay. My friend did summer intern for Intel, and got several cosmetic dental procedure done, and Intel paid most of the bills.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:40 am

Doesn't Obama have something to say about this?

xxx

Postby xxx » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:43 am

I'd be shocked if ANY place gave health insurance that wasn't required by law to do so
They have people lined up out the door willing to take that job for less than minimum wage as is!

twenty 8

Postby twenty 8 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:35 am

Free health insurance doesn’t happen until you’re offered and begin working. As far as wages, a number of firms significantly increased their starting salary as not to lose out to competing firms. One example I know of, $120k increased to $135k.

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:48 am

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:56 am

sublime wrote:
bearsfan23 wrote:How are you a law student without health insurance? I wasn't even aware there were law schools that would let you enroll without it

I don't know about OP, but I am currently without after turning 26.

NU definitely doesn't allow full-time students of any age to be without insurance (and it has to be the equivalent of the school's plan).

mrjohnsterman

Postby mrjohnsterman » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:22 am

I haven't heard of any law firms offering (I know at least some consulting firms do for summers). I lost my parents health insurance in May last year so joined Obamacare for a few months until I could get on school plan.

Avian

Postby Avian » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:27 am

I've also never heard of summers being offered health insurance. My feeling from friends who work in the tech industry is that salaries and benefits are more of a competition, even if starting salaries are usually below what a first year associate makes at a market paying firm. Whereas those companies are competing for the best graduates, most biglaw firms are paying the same amount in base compensation. So I'm not surprised that Intel would offer health insurance even for a brief internship.

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:37 am

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I have, just a shitty one with high copay. My friend did summer intern for Intel, and got several cosmetic dental procedure done, and Intel paid most of the bills.

Have you looked into the school's plans? They're usually quite inexpensive and with great benefits.

But no, biglaw isn't going to pay for health insurance for SA's. And even if they did and even if it included dental, the dental would be a typical 50/50 with a 6-18 month wait before they paid for major stuff, not the crazy shit your friend allegedly got from intel.

mrjohnsterman

Postby mrjohnsterman » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:44 am

sublime wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
sublime wrote:

I don't know about OP, but I am currently without after turning 26.

NU definitely doesn't allow full-time students of any age to be without insurance (and it has to be the equivalent of the school's plan).

Yea, what I am saying though is I had a waiver because I had insurance at the beginning of the year when they checked, but last month I aged out of being allowed on my parents plan (obligatory thanks, Obama), so now I am currently without. The school will make me get it next year, but if after completing a waiver, if you lose coverage for whatever reason during the year, you can be without.

Usually life changes let you join school plans (which include losing insurance for age). If you are young and healthy you can also consider temporary insurance (though, remember under the mandate you have to have insurance at least 9? months of the year and temporary insurance does not count).

Also, if you can't get on your law schools, look at your undergrad alumni association as they often have discounted plans.

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:53 am

Return to “Legal Employment”