Firms requiring admission to multiple jurisdictions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ditch digger

Firms requiring admission to multiple jurisdictions

Postby ditch digger » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:17 am

I was happy to land a job shortly after graduating from law school, and elated to pass the bar exam on my first try. Unfortunately, my job is contingent upon passing another bar exam in a neighboring jurisdiction, and I have been studying for the bar and working full time for the past three months. Needless to say, I'm hating life right now. I spoke with a few of my law school friends, and none of them are being forced to take the bar exam in another jurisdiction. How common is my firm's requirement?

BeenDidThat

Re: Firms requiring admission to multiple jurisdictions

Postby BeenDidThat » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:21 am

ditch digger wrote:I was happy to land a job shortly after graduating from law school, and elated to pass the bar exam on my first try. Unfortunately, my job is contingent upon passing another bar exam in a neighboring jurisdiction, and I have been studying for the bar and working full time for the past three months. Needless to say, I'm hating life right now. I spoke with a few of my law school friends, and none of them are being forced to take the bar exam in another jurisdiction. How common is my firm's requirement?

Prob super common for Delaware bros. Be glad you aren't in the city.

twenty 8

Postby twenty 8 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:00 am

Not uncommon if you are on a state borderline or neighbor a lucrative market.

Postby 2014 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:48 pm

I know this is a thing in many (most?) KC/STL firms. Most posters here are NY/Chi/CA/Tex/DC though and it'd be odd for any of those to have the requirement.

Return to “Legal Employment”