Lateral from Biglaw Transactional to Entertainment in NY?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral from Biglaw Transactional to Entertainment in NY?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:49 pm

3L at MVP with V50 corporate lined up.

I attempted and failed to get a job in California (both during OCI and 3L year). However i'm still interested in doing entertainment transactional work eventually. My firm does no entertainment work in NY, but AFAIK almost no big firms do entertainment work in NY (other than the occasional M&A deal that involves an entertainment company or something).

Does anyone have knowledge/advice about moving from general corp in NY to entertainment work in NY? On the firm side, not in house. Is V10 pretty much required?

Is entertainment work flame in NY? If not, is Chambers pretty accurate with regards to the firms doing that kind of work in NY? (I've never heard of any of them).

Anonymous User

Re: Lateral from Biglaw Transactional to Entertainment in NY?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:18 pm

Bump. Anyone?

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:35 pm

Sorry, not knowledgable enough to help you here. But are you proficient with LinkedIn? Use LinkedIn to find an alum from your school who did this exact transition.

PwnLaw

Postby PwnLaw » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:55 pm

NY Entertainment work is very thin. A few firms have a practice, but it's not nearly as built out versus LA. The folks out in NYC often have an international/music/theater flavor to them. Sometimes they shoehorn in things like fashion.

If you want Hollywood work (film & tv), you'll need to be in LA.

By way of background, I used to do entertainment work in LA at a firm that had a well regarded NYC entertainment practice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:37 pm

PwnLaw wrote:NY Entertainment work is very thin. A few firms have a practice, but it's not nearly as built out versus LA. The folks out in NYC often have an international/music/theater flavor to them. Sometimes they shoehorn in things like fashion.

If you want Hollywood work (film & tv), you'll need to be in LA.

By way of background, I used to do entertainment work in LA at a firm that had a well regarded NYC entertainment practice.

Mind mentioning the firms in NY you're referring to?

gfd973

Postby gfd973 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:38 pm

Grubman Shire comes to mind (I know someone who left from a V30 to go there; I believe they represent Beyonce on certain matters). I'm not really sure what it is that you mean by entertainment transactional work though. Morgan Lewis is big in movie finance, and Paul Weiss has a lot of entertainment clients as well but I'm not sure how much that bleeds into their admittedly not-so-bread-and-butter transactional work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:01 pm

gfd973 wrote:Grubman Shire comes to mind (I know someone who left from a V30 to go there; I believe they represent Beyonce on certain matters). I'm not really sure what it is that you mean by entertainment transactional work though. Morgan Lewis is big in movie finance, and Paul Weiss has a lot of entertainment clients as well but I'm not sure how much that bleeds into their admittedly not-so-bread-and-butter transactional work.

Thanks. Re: what kind of transactional work, thats a good question. I know a lot of people assume entertainment law is just talent work, but thats not what I mean.

i'm interested in talent work, but i'm also interested in transactional work for media clients (studios, ad agencies), so licensing/IP/talent kind of work.

I'm not looking at financing or media company M&A because as you mention that work tends to be derivative of a more generalist M&A/financing practice, especially in NY.

Hopefully thats helpful. I'll take a look at Grubman thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment”