Loyola Patent Law Interview Program

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Leo

Loyola Patent Law Interview Program

Postby Leo » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:23 pm

can anyone tell me more about how the Loyola PLIP works? Is it just screeners for the first two days? If so, when are callbacks? Trying to plan the second half of my summer around it. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Loyola Patent Law Interview Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:47 pm

It's two days of 20 minute screeners and trying to hustle your resume into the hands of the chicks running the recruitment suites. You can't really plan b/c firms call you back whenever they feel like it. My last CB was in the 3rd week in September.

Leo

Postby Leo » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:35 pm

So is it practically impossible to split my summer between two firms then? One firm before PLIP and another firm after (say second half of August plus September)?

Also, any need to attend OCI after PLIP?

Leo

Postby Leo » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:49 pm

Bump. Need to make a decision by Monday.

Patent2014

Postby Patent2014 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:36 pm

First off, if you're interested in doing patent law, the loyola patent program should be your #1 priority. Many firms fill their 2L patent associates through that program and if you wait to rely on OCI that will set you back in the process and positions may be filled before you get a chance to have a CB. With that said, that doesn't mean you should disregard OCI. Plan on doing both. I've heard OCI is basically a "back up" for patent folks, but plan on doing both. Half of the applicants for PLIP don't get any interviews and those that do average only a couple (so I've heard), so it's no sure bet. OCI may have many firms not at PLIP, such as smaller/midsized local firms that may be easier to get. Although if you're getting SAs as a 1L, then I'm sure you'll get lots of interest from firms at PLIP.
Finally, related to splitting your summer, it depends on your schedule and when classes start, but keep in mind that many CBs will occur within the next few weeks after PLIP, so if you tried squeezing in another SA after that and before classes you may end up missing a lot of work to attend interviews, which the employer probably wouldn't like if you were just going to be there a short time anyhow. If I were in your situation I'd just pick the more desirable SA and work it up until PLIP and then relax/interview until classes start.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:29 pm

It depends.

I am a 3L from a T14 school. About a dozen of my classmates attended the PLIP in 2013. If you have top grades and a strong technical background, you will have a lot of interviews (>15) and multiple CBs. Personally I knew two such examples from different schools. But it is not uncommon for an average student with about ten interviews at PLIP to end up with no CB at all. My guess was that at PLIP firms grab the best candidates like crazy. For everyone else, it is a bait-and-wait game: combined with later results from OCI's. Nonetheless, PLIP is a good tune-up for OCI interviews. Making connection with an interviewer quickly would be easier after "exercising" a lot at PLIP, including running stairs and switching between interview rooms within a five-minute period.

Therefore, do not skip OCI right way. Wait until after PLIP to decide whether OCI would be needed in your situation. The advantage of doing OCI is the alumni factor, if you know what I mean. Good luck.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:27 pm

Always do both unless you have an offer in hand and can afford to be picky.

Return to “Legal Employment”