Do potential employers facebook stalk?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do potential employers facebook stalk?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:01 pm

I've been applying for 1L summer internships/jobs ect. and I'm coming from a field where employers look through facebook/social media, and some employers go as far as making you log on to social media in front of them if you keep it private. I ask because, while I think I did a good job of going through and deleting pictures/statuses/ect. from college, there is always a chance I could have missed something. I also ask because I have three tattoos and I would rather not have any biases against me if an employer were to look at my facebook.

KM2016

Re: Do potential employers facebook stalk?

Postby KM2016 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:26 pm

The answer to this question is obviously going to vary from firm to firm. You've deleted inappropriate pictures and posts, so there's not much to worry about on that front. If you're worried about your tattoos, simply delete pictures of your tattoos...

Also, this is Facebook 101, but change your name to something unique/not your real name.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:27 pm

Assume that they will and sanitize your profile accordingly. Also, max privacy settings.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:28 pm

hoos89 wrote:Assume that they will and sanitize your profile accordingly. Also, max privacy settings.

Also turn on tag approval so that nothing you're tagged in will be added to your timeline until you've taken a look at it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:32 pm

On that note, if they saw me with a russian tattoo would they automatically think I'm a communist?

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:33 pm

I always said "Why would they bother." But now when im in the interviewer seat I always good for curiosity's sake.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On that note, if they saw me with a russian tattoo would they automatically think I'm a communist?

...and an alcoholic, what other logical conclusion could someone draw from a russian tattoo?

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:36 pm

Set to private and don't let friends of friends see anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:On that note, if they saw me with a russian tattoo would they automatically think I'm a communist?

...and an alcoholic, what other logical conclusion could someone draw from a russian tattoo?

Wn't that mean I'll fit in with the firm's culture?

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Cobretti wrote:

Alcohol abuser ≠ alcoholic. Gotta be able to dial that shit down during crunch times.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:49 pm

ymmv wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Cobretti wrote:

Alcohol abuser ≠ alcoholic. Gotta be able to dial that shit down during crunch times.

Duly noted

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:24 pm

Law is very conservative, and you should conceal your tattoos in the office, but I highly doubt anyone is going to care about a Facebook photo of your tattoo. Unless it it is a swastika or something.

cappuccino1

Postby cappuccino1 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:21 pm

I check everything, speaks to the applicant's discretion. That said, a few tattoos probably isn't a dealbreaker.

Kivan

Postby Kivan » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:44 am

Fuck yes!

Everytime my boss announces that we have a new hire I IMMEDIATELY start to search facebook and google.

I look up any and everything related to that person.

A lot of times, their law school or other organizations will post information about the person. So you can sanitize facebook all you want, just know that other sources of information are available, too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've been applying for 1L summer internships/jobs ect. and I'm coming from a field where employers look through facebook/social media, and some employers go as far as making you log on to social media in front of them if you keep it private. I ask because, while I think I did a good job of going through and deleting pictures/statuses/ect. from college, there is always a chance I could have missed something. I also ask because I have three tattoos and I would rather not have any biases against me if an employer were to look at my facebook.

I've done some employment work including research on this specifically, and the bolded is a very problematic practice. Some states have laws banning it outright (and that includes making you log in). A quick google search or Lexis/WL search should give you an idea of how your state treats it.

Everything public, however, is fair game.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've been applying for 1L summer internships/jobs ect. and I'm coming from a field where employers look through facebook/social media, and some employers go as far as making you log on to social media in front of them if you keep it private. I ask because, while I think I did a good job of going through and deleting pictures/statuses/ect. from college, there is always a chance I could have missed something. I also ask because I have three tattoos and I would rather not have any biases against me if an employer were to look at my facebook.

I've done some employment work including research on this specifically, and the bolded is a very problematic practice. Some states have laws banning it outright (and that includes making you log in). A quick google search or Lexis/WL search should give you an idea of how your state treats it.

Everything public, however, is fair game.

Surprised most people wouldn't categorically refuse to work for an employer that considered their private account logins fair game. I mean the job market's bad, but not that bad.

Avian

Postby Avian » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:45 am

ymmv wrote:Surprised most people wouldn't categorically refuse to work for an employer that considered their private account logins fair game. I mean the job market's bad, but not that bad.

I mean if you're unemployed are you really going to refuse the chance to get a job because you're that protective of your Facebook account? The employer holds all the cards unless you have multiple job offers.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:51 am

Avian wrote:
ymmv wrote:Surprised most people wouldn't categorically refuse to work for an employer that considered their private account logins fair game. I mean the job market's bad, but not that bad.

I mean if you're unemployed are you really going to refuse the chance to get a job because you're that protective of your Facebook account? The employer holds all the cards unless you have multiple job offers.

I'd just go back to waiting tables. I've dealt with enough satanic corporate management to know it's not worth the extra cash.

Return to “Legal Employment”