1L, Low Grades, T14 - What to do for summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L, Low Grades, T14 - What to do for summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:23 pm

Hi all,

Would greatly appreciate some advice/tips/stories. Currently at a T14 law school and did quite badly first semester (somewhere between bottom 30% and bottom 25%). Beyond improving my grades this semester through talking with professors and etc, I'm getting worried about 1L summer. Have sent out tons of apps the past few weeks but have been hearing nothing (beyond a small smattering of random interviews).

Will obviously be spending a lot of time with the career center these upcoming days, and know the typical "1L job doesn't matter unless it's amazing and as long as it's legal-related", but nonetheless am greatly interested in the tips and experiences of TLS'ers.

What to do? Also makes me anxious/discouraged because if it's this hard for volunteering for free, how hard is it going to be when they have to pay me thousands per week? (I have significant pre-LS work experience and made decent money, so the way this process is going these past few weeks has been a shocker)

Anonymous User

Re: 1L, Low Grades, T14 - What to do for summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:37 pm

how bad did you do at which school? are you sure you are that low? i ask because I am having the same problem.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:42 pm

How badly? Above 3.0? What's your COA?

You're only halfway done. Plenty of time to right the ship. Plus, your 1L job doesn't really matter. As long as it's related to the law, you'll be in fine shape there (and plenty of people would bring on a T14 intern for the summer)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:45 pm

OP here.

Mid-T-14. Not HYSCC, but not Georgetown.

And yep, due to various factors I can say that approx rank with strong certainty, though not 100% certain. Roughly .1 to .15 below median. And yes, above 3.0.

As for COA, have a good scholarship and decent pre-law school savings. Not seriously considering (though of course the thought has run across my mind) extreme options like dropping out, for while I can likely get back an ok professional career, it's a bit hard to jump back into and the earnings potential is quite limited.

And thanks for the encouragement. Though I obviously will rely heavily on the career center, just wanted any insights from others who were in similar positions in how they navigated it.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:05 pm

If you're going to stay in law school then just got intern with a DAs office or something and cop your school's summer stipend. It should be easy to find a job, just apply to everything and give it a little time.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

And yep, due to various factors I can say that approx rank with strong certainty, though not 100% certain. Roughly .1 to .15 below median. And yes, above 3.0.

As for COA, have a good scholarship and decent pre-law school savings. Not seriously considering (though of course the thought has run across my mind) extreme options like dropping out, for while I can likely get back an ok professional career, it's a bit hard to jump back into and the earnings potential is quite limited.

And thanks for the encouragement. Though I obviously will rely heavily on the career center, just wanted any insights from others who were in similar positions in how they navigated it.

You'll be fine. If you get median this semester, you'll be in the mushy middle of the class and competitive. Apply to your home market and NYC. You're ahead of a lot of K-JDs

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:21 pm

Same position as OP and starting to worry. Interested in how these three options compare: Big county PD office, state trial judge, or split time between clinic/RA/classes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:43 pm

mr.hands wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

You'll be fine. If you get median this semester, you'll be in the mushy middle of the class and competitive. Apply to your home market and NYC. You're ahead of a lot of K-JDs

Honestly, .1-.15 below median really isnt that bad-you're a slightly above median semester from being around the median pack and being very largely competitive for whats available to most. I legit did bad, and as for me Im gunning for a 1L firm associate gig in my small secondary market, which I think I have a shot at. Just keep busting your ass but you're still in a pretty ok spot.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:(beyond a small smattering of random interviews).

That is likely a "small smattering" amount of interviews more than many of your classmates at this point. I don't think I heard of anyone at my school not getting a legal related 1L summer job. Maybe if people did they didn't talk about it, but most of these jobs are unpaid and therefore I think its relatively easy to secure some type of summer experience.

Don't worry. Getting your grades up will allow you to do that even easier, so focus on that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:08 am

Try applying to federal magistrate judges. It's still federal district court work, and your magistrate may not necessarily have you work on only §1983 or SSA cases. Magistrates get looked over a lot, but can be a great experience.

I was 0.16 below median at a lower T14 after 1L Fall. I interned for a federal magistrate in a big city (think NY, Boston, Chicago, LA), killed it 1L spring, and will be at a V10 this coming summer.

North

Postby North » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:13 am

Seconding Brev. You'll get something for the summer, so focus on doing better this semester. I was in your spot after 1L fall. My advice re: summer is to go hard in your home market (assuming it's a smaller town). I was able to line up a great gig pretty much by being from my town and going to a T14 alone, fall grades didn't even come up. That aside, you'll get something if you keep plugging away. Don't use the 1L summer search as a metric for gauging your competitiveness for OCI.

Re: OCI, whoever said a median Spring will put you in the competitive mushy middle is right. Try hard to fix what you did wrong, but don't worry more than it takes to motivate you to do that. You'll probably end up just fine. If you get another set of bottom 1/3 grades it might be time to really worry, so try to avoid that.

Return to “Legal Employment”