Real Estate Law --> Developer...Does this ever happen? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Sgt Pepper

New

Real Estate Law --> Developer...Does this ever happen?

Post by Sgt Pepper » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:20 pm

I have been taking some real estate classes and I really like the material. That said, I would like to move to the business side of things after a few years. Is this a job that anyone has made, or that can generally be made at all? Thanks a ton!

BeenDidThat

Silver

Re: Real Estate Law --> Developer...Does this ever happen?

Post by BeenDidThat » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:29 am

Sgt Pepper wrote:I have been taking some real estate classes and I really like the material. That said, I would like to move to the business side of things after a few years. Is this a job that anyone has made, or that can generally be made at all? Thanks a ton!
No. Not a single person has ever gone from law to real estate development.

HTH.

Sgt Pepper

New

Post by Sgt Pepper » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:08 am

BeenDidThat wrote:
Sgt Pepper wrote:I have been taking some real estate classes and I really like the material. That said, I would like to move to the business side of things after a few years. Is this a job that anyone has made, or that can generally be made at all? Thanks a ton!
No. Not a single person has ever gone from law to real estate development.

HTH.
Gracias bro I appreciate it

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:17 pm

Are you talking about moving to a development company as in-house counsel?

Sgt Pepper

New

Post by Sgt Pepper » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:21 pm

kalvano wrote:Are you talking about moving to a development company as in-house counsel?
I was more interested in doing the actual business side like rounding up financing/negotiating with government/etc. I'm not sure how much of that an in-house counsel does?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:06 pm

Sgt Pepper wrote:
kalvano wrote:Are you talking about moving to a development company as in-house counsel?
I was more interested in doing the actual business side like rounding up financing/negotiating with government/etc. I'm not sure how much of that an in-house counsel does?
I guess it would depend on the size of the company and what types of development the company generally does. Most of the business people in development that I interact with have an MBA or real estate finance background, or a construction background. Generally, the in-house counsel reviews leases, licenses, SNDAs, handles the loan closings, reviews construction agreements, as well as the general in-house counsel stuff.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:08 am

Sgt Pepper wrote:
My father is a developer and he doesn't even have a high school degree. Asking this question is like asking whether people transition into non-JD required professions, which from my network, is common. So yes, you can do this. You need to be passionate about land, development, materials, networking with people in this realm, etc. People successful in real estate tend to be consumed/fascinated by it. (People successful in most professions are consumed/fascinated to a certain extent).

Sgt Pepper

New

Post by Sgt Pepper » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sgt Pepper wrote:
My father is a developer and he doesn't even have a high school degree. Asking this question is like asking whether people transition into non-JD required professions, which from my network, is common. So yes, you can do this. You need to be passionate about land, development, materials, networking with people in this realm, etc. People successful in real estate tend to be consumed/fascinated by it. (People successful in most professions are consumed/fascinated to a certain extent).
For sure, thanks. I guess the constant "once you are a lawyer nobody will hire you to do anything else" mantra has sunk in too far.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:57 pm

Here's your ceiling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Caruso

Dem exit options from Pepperdine Law!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”