does canceling 1L SA callback reflect negatively at OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

does canceling 1L SA callback reflect negatively at OCI?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:57 pm

I recently received an offer from a firm that I am ready to accept; however, I have two callbacks left from (not that this matters, but) higher ranked V100 firms in a market that I would much rather spend my summer in. All three places are firms that I highly doubt I would summer for 2L (will hopefully be trading far up the ladder if my grades stay the same).

What do I do? I have one interview this Monday and another on Friday. Both require me flying out and missing 1 day of class, respectively. I'm definitely going to cancel my Thursday one; do you think it's in poor taste to cancel my Monday one as well? Both firms are firms that I would like to re-apply for at OCI. Does reneging on a callback ensure a ding at OCI?

DJ JD

Re: does canceling 1L SA callback reflect negatively at OCI?

Postby DJ JD » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:07 pm

I'll be honest I don't know the answer, but am I the only one that found these two statements incongruous?

Anonymous User wrote:All three places are firms that I highly doubt I would summer for 2L (will hopefully be trading far up the ladder if my grades stay the same).

Both firms are firms that I would like to re-apply for at OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:19 pm

DJ JD wrote:I'll be honest I don't know the answer, but am I the only one that found these two statements incongruous?

Anonymous User wrote:All three places are firms that I highly doubt I would summer for 2L (will hopefully be trading far up the ladder if my grades stay the same).

Both firms are firms that I would like to re-apply for at OCI.

I've seen top 5-10% here strike out bidding just the V20 @ my T14 due to bad luck/interviewing skills/etc. I think I have the grades for more well-regarded firms, but a job is better than no job; therefore, I'd probably bid on 2-3 of these firms come OCI since I don't think many kids here will be bidding them

Avian

Postby Avian » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:24 pm

My feeling is that no one would hold it against you. Just email them and explain that while you greatly appreciate the opportunity to interview, you have recently accepted another offer for the summer.

Firms (and all employers really) understand that people applying for jobs may schedule a series of interviews in a row and it is expected that if they accept an offer from an earlier interview that they will cancel their remaining interviews.

In fact, the worst thing you could do would be to interview for a position that you have no intention of accepting. Doing so wastes everyone's time.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:39 pm

Why not do it? Missing class this early in the semester is pretty much irrelevant, and getting CB experience is probably not a bad thing (nor is a free little trip).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:53 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:Why not do it? Missing class this early in the semester is pretty much irrelevant, and getting CB experience is probably not a bad thing (nor is a free little trip).

It would be my third CB and 8th interview total (13th in the last year), so I'm not too worried about that aspect. But you're right, I have family/friends down in that secondary market I would love to see.

The problem is that I've missed so much fucking school already--roughly 4 days worth. I don't know if I can honestly maintain my grades if I miss another 2.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:53 pm

I don't think it's really such a big deal to miss class. It's not like your professor is teaching you a different law. All that matters is that you understand the material. If you're that worried then read a law review article they wrote on the general class which will likely be much more indicative of what they really value than their in class persona. If you're smart enough to be competitive for 1L SA's you could do it on your own, and then the real point of class is to get your professor's big picture opinions.

If you're gonna cancel you should do it soon. There's a recruiting budget, and all the planes and hotel money they can't get refunded eats at their budget. Keep the inconvenience as small as possible. Also, it's kind of a big decision, because you're probably going to get a return offer. If you really like the people there it's possible you won't want to go to a new place for a higher vault ranking. I'm not sure the risk of not liking the new culture or the people as much is worth the vault ranking especially when the pay is equal.
Last edited by AReasonableMan on Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:59 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:I don't think it's really such a big deal to miss class. It's not like your professor is teaching you a different law. All that matters is that you understand the material. If you're that worried then read a law review article they wrote on the general class which will likely be much more indicative of what they really value than their in class persona. If you're smart enough to be competitive for 1L SA's you could do it on your own, and then the real point of class is to get your professor's big picture opinions. If you're gonna cancel you should do it soon. There's a recruiting budget, and all the planes and hotel money they can't get refunded eats at their budget. Keep the inconvenience as small as possible.

Yeah. I'm definitely going to cancel the Friday CB. I'm still on the fence about the Monday CB, but I think I will go, especially since cancelling two days before the actual thing is pretty shitty. I'm just hoping the Friday-CB-firm doesn't hold the cancel against me.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:I don't think it's really such a big deal to miss class. It's not like your professor is teaching you a different law. All that matters is that you understand the material. If you're that worried then read a law review article they wrote on the general class which will likely be much more indicative of what they really value than their in class persona. If you're smart enough to be competitive for 1L SA's you could do it on your own, and then the real point of class is to get your professor's big picture opinions. If you're gonna cancel you should do it soon. There's a recruiting budget, and all the planes and hotel money they can't get refunded eats at their budget. Keep the inconvenience as small as possible.

Yeah. I'm definitely going to cancel the Friday CB. I'm still on the fence about the Monday CB, but I think I will go, especially since cancelling two days before the actual thing is pretty shitty. I'm just hoping the Friday-CB-firm doesn't hold the cancel against me.

I mean it's not like ignoring a text message after the first date. If you know you're gonna back out and don't then they actually lose a tangible asset. I'm sure nobody will toss darts at your linkedin photo, but practically speaking you would be less likely to accept their offer next year than a random joe(tte).

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:16 am

I don't see how canceling a callback would hurt you any more than getting an offer and declining it, or going on the callback and getting dinged.

The rule of thumb is don't waste their time. You won't hurt anyone's feelings by canceling an interview. You will tick them off if they realize you have no intention of working there but took their money and time to interview anyway. They have better things to do. Just be polite and grateful about the opportunity.

Avian

Postby Avian » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:I'm still on the fence about the Monday CB, but I think I will go, especially since cancelling two days before the actual thing is pretty shitty.

It's really not, if you're only doing it to avoid causing them an inconvenience you should cancel. They can probably recover the cost of the plane ticket and all it means personnel-wise is that some associates and partners are going to work instead of taking 30 minutes each to interview you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:35 pm

Receiving and not accepting an offer can affect you at OCI. Cancelling the callback will not.

banjo

Postby banjo » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:51 pm

I canceled a 1L callback a few days in advance. I emailed the firm again before OCI and received a callback and offer, no questions asked.

Canceling a callback the day before is also fine. You'd be surprised how often it happens, especially in August/September.

Patent2014

Postby Patent2014 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:55 pm

I cancelled a CB at a V50 firm and they responded nicely and even encouraged me to apply for 2L summer saying they would love to bring me in for an interview at that time. I think most firms are similar. They know that sometimes applicants get expiring offers they choose to accept rather than "roll the dice" with future interviews. Also, 2L summer is usually what matters for hiring post-grad, so if they can get you 2L summer, then it's all the same to them.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:41 pm

Just tell them you took another job. It happens.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:26 pm

It depends on the individual more than the firm. The overwhelming majority of recruiters are reasonable, but it's possible you'll get your windshield shattered like this applicant: http://abovethelaw.com/2013/11/the-recr ... -now-what/

Return to “Legal Employment”