1st year biglaw lit associates--how's your experience so far

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kaiser

Re: 1st year biglaw lit associates--how's your experience so far

Postby kaiser » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Well yea making binders for 160k isn't a bad deal.

The issue is that you are responsible for your development. If you doc rev for 2 years suddenly ur the third year That doesn't know shit about shit.

E'reday I'm binderin'...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:06 pm

The issue is that you are responsible for your development. If you doc rev for 2 years suddenly ur the third year That doesn't know shit about shit.

Well then good thing I'm doing all the other things I listed in my post.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Well then good thing I'm doing all the other things I listed in my post.

I meant that as explaination for why someone would be upset at not doing substnative work.

now go home and get your binderbox.

Dafaq

Postby Dafaq » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:30 am

At nearly any point I am staffed on a half dozen cases. Motions, briefs, conference calls, you name it. Can’t imagine being paid for just sitting here and doing doc review and learning nothing. I enjoy the work except (as others have noted) there is just too much of it.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:54 am

Not gaining skills in litigation is kinda flame though. I've done pretty substantive work. It's the same as legal writing in law school essentially. If you're doing all doc review you can easily read a brief or motion in 15 minutes and learn the same thing you would learn in the 10-20 hours drafting it.
As mentioned, substantive work like being on conference calls and writing summary memos isn't a skill. You could have done that in high school. So I wouldn't really be worried about falling behind anyone or not learning skills at this point yet.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:50 am

I hope the associates talking about "making binders" are not referring to the physical act of printing out PDFs, 3-hole punch, putting them in the binder, adding numbered tabs, etc. That is definitely support staff work? E.g. paralegal, legal assistant, printing vendor.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:22 am

englawyer wrote:I hope the associates talking about "making binders" are not referring to the physical act of printing out PDFs, 3-hole punch, putting them in the binder, adding numbered tabs, etc. That is definitely support staff work? E.g. paralegal, legal assistant, printing vendor.

Mostly that is done by support staff, but the associate absolutely ends up doing it from time to time depending on the circumstances. There might be a quirk to the assignment, or certain discretionary calls, that makes you reluctant to trust others to get it right. But yes, for the most part, the manual labor is done by vendors, secretary, support staff, etc.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:36 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:If you're doing all doc review you can easily read a brief or motion in 15 minutes and learn the same thing you would learn in the 10-20 hours drafting it.

This is laughably wrong.

Cogburn87

Postby Cogburn87 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:45 pm

kaiser wrote:Mostly that is done by support staff, but the associate absolutely ends up doing it from time to time depending on the circumstances. There might be a quirk to the assignment, or certain discretionary calls, that makes you reluctant to trust others to get it right. But yes, for the most part, the manual labor is done by vendors, secretary, support staff, etc.

In any event, a junior is going to be checking the work of the support staff. So yeah. You make binders in biglaw litigation with some frequency.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:44 pm

hiima3L wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:If you're doing all doc review you can easily read a brief or motion in 15 minutes and learn the same thing you would learn in the 10-20 hours drafting it.

This is laughably wrong.

I agree

Return to “Legal Employment”