1st year biglaw lit associates--how's your experience so far

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1st year biglaw lit associates--how's your experience so far

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:55 pm

Mine has consisted of 90% doc review, which is pretty horrible. Is this normal?

JohannDeMann

Re: 1st year biglaw lit associates--how's your experience so far

Postby JohannDeMann » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:59 pm

are you in NYC? yeah thats normal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:00 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:are you in NYC? yeah thats normal.

Not NYC, but top5 city. How long should this last?

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:07 pm

not sure how long it lasts. maybe 1-2 years? the people i know who did this for the first full year quit and left. i dont imagine it can last much longer than first 2 years but who knows.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:10 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:not sure how long it lasts. maybe 1-2 years? the people i know who did this for the first full year quit and left. i dont imagine it can last much longer than first 2 years but who knows.

This is what I'm trying to gauge. If it's abnormal, I want to start looking around for something else. I would rather not do this for 2 years straight and learn nothing. However, if it is typical to do nothing but doc review for the first 1-2 yrs, I'll stay put

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:not sure how long it lasts. maybe 1-2 years? the people i know who did this for the first full year quit and left. i dont imagine it can last much longer than first 2 years but who knows.

This is what I'm trying to gauge. If it's abnormal, I want to start looking around for something else. I would rather not do this for 2 years straight and learn nothing. However, if it is typical to do nothing but doc review for the first 1-2 yrs, I'll stay put

anyone?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:08 pm

I'm a first year at a biglaw firm well known for its litigation practice, and doc review has comprised approximately 20-30% of my work thus far. I've also been performing research, drafting memos, drafting sections of briefs, drafting discovery, and drafting pleadings (e.g., Answers, pro hac vice motions, declarations in support of motions, etc.).

To some extent it depends on the cases on which you're staffed--if you're on a big securities case in discovery, you're going to do a lot of doc review.

15 styx

Postby 15 styx » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:12 pm

Be careful on what you ask for. I passed up BL (+1000 attorneys) and a salary 12k more than what I am receiving now for mid/small law (<60 lawyers) because I didn’t want to get stuck just doing doc review. My week consists of depositions, writing motions, research, meeting clients (office and away), conf calls on trial teams for multimillion dollar cases, etc., and yes, some doc review.

While I enjoy collaborating with partners, I am conflicted, given the enormity my never-ending workload. Like I noted earlier, be careful what you ask for. The idea of free weekends, 9/5 days and the extra 12k, has me second guessing my choice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a first year at a biglaw firm well known for its litigation practice, and doc review has comprised approximately 20-30% of my work thus far. I've also been performing research, drafting memos, drafting sections of briefs, drafting discovery, and drafting pleadings (e.g., Answers, pro hac vice motions, declarations in support of motions, etc.).

To some extent it depends on the cases on which you're staffed--if you're on a big securities case in discovery, you're going to do a lot of doc review.

That sounds pleasant enough. I wish my day to day had some variation like this. I will very occasionally be asked to do research or draft a garbage motion. Otherwise I'm clicking through documents.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:17 pm

15 styx wrote:Be careful on what you ask for. I passed up BL (+1000 attorneys) and a salary 12k more than what I am receiving now for mid/small law (<60 lawyers) because I didn’t want to get stuck just doing doc review. My week consists of depositions, writing motions, research, meeting clients (office and away), conf calls on trial teams for multimillion dollar cases, etc., and yes, some doc review.

While I enjoy collaborating with partners, I am conflicted, given the enormity my never-ending workload. Like I noted earlier, be careful what you ask for. The idea of free weekends, 9/5 days and the extra 12k, has me second guessing my choice.

I still have to make hours, so it's not 9-5 with free weekends. How much are you billing /yr?

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:21 pm

I'm surprised. Is this V10 + other eilite shitigation firms?

My clients would revolt if I was doing that much doc review. That kind of work is for waterbrains.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:23 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'm surprised. Is this V10 + other eilite shitigation firms?

My clients would revolt if I was doing that much doc review. That kind of work is for waterbrains.

V100, not v10, not elite lit

I'm on multiple doc reviews, so it's not for a single client

15 styx

Postby 15 styx » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I still have to make hours, so it's not 9-5 with free weekends. How much are you billing /yr?

Guesstimating 500k since I have no idea how much might be written off.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:32 pm

15 styx wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I still have to make hours, so it's not 9-5 with free weekends. How much are you billing /yr?

Guesstimating 500k since I have no idea how much might be written off.

I meant hours

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:59 pm

15 styx wrote:Be careful on what you ask for. I passed up BL (+1000 attorneys) and a salary 12k more than what I am receiving now for mid/small law (<60 lawyers) because I didn’t want to get stuck just doing doc review. My week consists of depositions, writing motions, research, meeting clients (office and away), conf calls on trial teams for multimillion dollar cases, etc., and yes, some doc review.

Dude...what bizarro-world biglaw firm do you think pays you decent money to work 9/5 and take weekends off? You're on call 24/7 either way, the only question is whether you're spending your life doing doc review or spending it doing something that actually resembles legal work. I don't know which one sounds worse; doc review is mind numbing but at least you can hide--substantive works gives you a hell of a lot of rope to hang yourself with.
Last edited by bruinfan10 on Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:02 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:

Dude...what bizarro-world biglaw firm do you think pays you decent money to work 9/5 and take weekends off? You're on call 24/7 either way, the only question is whether you're spending your life doing doc review vs something that actually resembles legal work. I don't know which one sounds worse; doc review is mind numbing but at least you can hide--substantive works gives you a hell of a lot of rope to hang yourself with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liRioOpF5sw

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:07 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:

Dude...what bizarro-world biglaw firm do you think pays you decent money to work 9/5 and take weekends off? You're on call 24/7 either way, the only question is whether you're spending your life doing doc review or spending it doing something that actually resembles legal work. I don't know which one sounds worse; doc review is mind numbing but at least you can hide--substantive works gives you a hell of a lot of rope to hang yourself with.

I think I'd prefer the more hectic existence of substantive work than steady doc review hours. I don't feel like I'm learning anything and it kind of scares me. Hence this thread--I would like to know if I need to start planning a move within the year

Cogburn87

Postby Cogburn87 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'm surprised. Is this V10 + other eilite shitigation firms?

V100, not v10, not elite lit

I'm on multiple doc reviews, so it's not for a single client

90% is pretty abnormal from what I've seen. I think about 40% of my hours my first year (NYC biglaw) were doc review. Clients aren't really willing to pay a junior's rate for that shit anymore.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:20 pm

1st year, NYC, lit. 5% doc review. really enjoy the experience as I, and most of my class, am getting to do a variety of stuff, some substantive, so less so. One thing I see, that is not talked about much here, is that it seems like if you ask for more responsibility, they will give it to you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1st year, NYC, lit. 5% doc review. really enjoy the experience as I, and most of my class, am getting to do a variety of stuff, some substantive, so less so. One thing I see, that is not talked about much here, is that it seems like if you ask for more responsibility, they will give it to you.

What is the less substantive work you're doing? What's the substantive?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1st year, NYC, lit. 5% doc review. really enjoy the experience as I, and most of my class, am getting to do a variety of stuff, some substantive, so less so. One thing I see, that is not talked about much here, is that it seems like if you ask for more responsibility, they will give it to you.

I would say the more substantive stuff ranges from brief writing in pro bono cases, at the most substantive, to legal research, presentations about factual issues in cases, prepping partners for depositions, on the mildly substantive side.
The less substantive stuff, though still not doc review, is case and fact management stuff, like liasing with vendors, responding to document subpoenas, finding and then arranging (already culled) documents into deposition binders.
Contract attorneys do the doc review.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I would say the more substantive stuff ranges from brief writing in pro bono cases, at the most substantive, to legal research, presentations about factual issues in cases, prepping partners for depositions, on the mildly substantive side.
The less substantive stuff, though still not doc review, is case and fact management stuff, like liasing with vendors, responding to document subpoenas, finding and then arranging (already culled) documents into deposition binders.

Thanks. Reading this makes me think I need to make a move. Sounds like you're learning a good amount.

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's the stuff that would force me to go with a substantive job. I would lose my mind putting together binders.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:13 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's the stuff that would force me to go with a substantive job. I would lose my mind putting together binders.

Yeah, well, it's really not bad, if you've had other jobs and less money and stuff. There are is certianly no shortage of entitlement in this industry.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:40 pm

Well yea making binders for 160k isn't a bad deal.

The issue is that you are responsible for your development. If you doc rev for 2 years suddenly ur the third year That doesn't know shit about shit.

Return to “Legal Employment”