Lateraling to NY -- Required to Retake MPRE?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateraling to NY -- Required to Retake MPRE?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:07 pm

I am lateraling to NYC this summer. Obviously need to take the NY bar, but do I need to re-take the MPRE? I am a class of 2010 law student, so took the MPRE quite a while ago. Does anyone know the answer to this question?

Thank you in advance!

glitched

Re: Lateraling to NY -- Required to Retake MPRE?

Postby glitched » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:15 pm

Yes no maybe so... I don't know... Can you repeat the question?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:22 pm

Just to be clear, I passed he MPRE in 2010, before I started practicing in another state. But that was more than three years ago. I know NY requires first time bar takers to take the bar within 3 years of passing the MPRE, but was hoping there might be an exception for attys who have practiced already. Thanks!

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:41 pm

Therefore, if it has been more than three years since an applicant took and passed the MPRE, the applicant will be required to re-sit and pass the MPRE before the applicant may be certified to the Appellate Division as having passed the bar examination.

Doesn't say anything about exceptions if you've been practicing in another state, unfortunately. :\

Return to “Legal Employment”