Do firms sneakily tell each other where you've applied?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do firms sneakily tell each other where you've applied?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:46 pm

I'm sure everyone has noticed that many biglaw firms use a single vendor, LawCruit.net, to handle their applications. (Weirdly, it's a really shitty vendor that requires you to both submit .pdf copies of your documents and fill out form fields with the same information.) Does LawCruit share any of the information you submit to a firm with other firms?

E.g., if you apply to Williams & Connolly and Arnold & Porter, will W&C know you applied to A&P? You can laugh it off and say "oh they won't care enough to look," but if on their end of the system there's like an opening screen with all your LawCruit apps on it (even if they can only look through their firm's in detail), they'll probably use it. And if you have ties to two cities but (obviously) only emphasize one per cover letter, it can make you look like a ties-liar.

NYCFAN1

Re: Do firms sneakily tell each other where you've applied?

Postby NYCFAN1 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:30 pm

thank god you went anon on this

wouldn't want firms to know you're onto them

Actus Reus

Postby Actus Reus » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:44 pm

Dude we don't give a shit where else you apply. Whoever you sell your soul to most is who gives you the job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:23 pm

Actus Reus wrote:Dude we don't give a shit where else you apply. Whoever you sell your soul to most is who gives you the job.

You say that, but I'm clerking now, and when I was going through the normal 2L-OCI job hunt, every firm out there wanted me to swear allegiance to their city--including 2 NYC firms, which TLS wisdom says don't GAF.

I'm a military brat. When I write an ATL firm to talk about how I went to HS in ATL (true), or an SD firm about how was born in SD (true), or a Florida firm about went to college in Florida (true), and tell them all about how I would OMG love to stay there, I don't want LawCruit to sell me out. Or I at least want to know about it.

And I'm part of our clerkship hiring process now. You'd think some lame-ass tie wouldn't show anything, but it does. Here, a top-quarter HYS grad with no ties = top-third T25 grad who writes "my cousin lives in [district] and gosh it's beautiful. I'd love to work there."

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:31 pm

I mean, I don't know anything about this particular recruiting service, but I can't see any way it would be acceptable for them to show a given firm anything besides what you've given them permission to see (i.e. your application to that firm only). I don't see how they'd stay in business if they were just letting firms see everything about you. I think you're overthinking it.

ClubberLang

Postby ClubberLang » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:45 pm

I'm fairly certain that LawCruitnet is just a black hole.

Actus Reus

Postby Actus Reus » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Actus Reus wrote:Dude we don't give a shit where else you apply. Whoever you sell your soul to most is who gives you the job.

You say that, but I'm clerking now, and when I was going through the normal 2L-OCI job hunt, every firm out there wanted me to swear allegiance to their city--including 2 NYC firms, which TLS wisdom says don't GAF.

I'm a military brat. When I write an ATL firm to talk about how I went to HS in ATL (true), or an SD firm about how was born in SD (true), or a Florida firm about went to college in Florida (true), and tell them all about how I would OMG love to stay there, I don't want LawCruit to sell me out. Or I at least want to know about it.

And I'm part of our clerkship hiring process now. You'd think some lame-ass tie wouldn't show anything, but it does. Here, a top-quarter HYS grad with no ties = top-third T25 grad who writes "my cousin lives in [district] and gosh it's beautiful. I'd love to work there."

Okay but it's still dumb not to apply to every firm known to existence if you don't have a job, because you're afraid they'll know you applied to other firms. GASP

mmelittlechicken

Postby mmelittlechicken » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:44 pm

No, it's just a widely used online application form. Calm down.

Return to “Legal Employment”