postage for thank you card Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

postage

Poll ended at Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:03 am

Tracking number
18%
Regular stamp
18%
why send a letter, do an email
64%

Total votes: 11

Anonymous User

postage for thank you card

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:03 am

Sending a thank you card post interview..my gut is telling me to put a track and confirm on it just to make sure it arrives..is that going too far? Lol

encore1101

Silver

Re: postage for thank you card

Post by encore1101 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:10 am

need an option for "don't send a thank you card"

because that'd be my choice

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:22 am

Nothing says you're just really serious about thanking the interviewer and totally not autistic like having a giant tracking bar code sticker and delivery confirmation request sticker on a tiny thank you card envelope

Briney Spring Gun

New

Post by Briney Spring Gun » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:27 am

Jeeze, cut the kid a break guys. OP, if you wish to send a thank you note, just send it with a stamp and be done with it. People will disagree about whether thank you notes are necessary, and you can find threads on here 20+ pages long debating it. At the end of the day, it's just personal preference, I like to send them myself, and I'm at a v5, so it certainly didn't hurt me along the way (not saying it outright helped me either, I just think it's a nice gesture).

Edit: Accidental anon, Briney Spring Gun here.

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:28 am

But don't send a thank you card, your interviewer doesn't care

Best case they throw it in the trash and forget about it. Nobody ever got a job because of a thank you card.

Worst case you say or do something that makes you look like a weirdo (e.g., getting delivery confirmation on a thank you card), and they remember that

There is no upside

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Briney Spring Gun

New

Post by Briney Spring Gun » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:37 am

North wrote:But don't send a thank you card, your interviewer doesn't care

Best case they throw it in the trash and forget about it. Nobody ever got a job because of a thank you card.

Worst case you say or do something that makes you look like a weirdo (e.g., getting delivery confirmation on a thank you card), and they remember that

There is no upside
Let's spare OP the nauseating debate about whether they are worthwhile and just agree that regardless, DO NOT send it with delivery confirmation.

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:41 am

Briney Spring Gun wrote:Let's spare OP the nauseating debate about whether they are worthwhile and just agree that regardless, DO NOT send it with delivery confirmation.
Oh it's not a debate here. OP was considering sending a thank you card plastered with these to his interviewer

So I think it's a pretty safe bet that OP would be better off not sending any thank you cards. Like, if this is the level of judgment at play here, then he's better off not sending anything

Briney Spring Gun

New

Post by Briney Spring Gun » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:50 am

North wrote:
So I think it's a pretty safe bet that OP would be better off not sending any thank you cards. Like, if this is the level of judgment at play here, then he's better off not sending anything
You make a good point.

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:53 am

*OP in thank you card*

During our conversation you mentioned that you thought it was great that I had taken the time to hike the Appalachian Trail during my summer before attending law school. So, I've taken the liberty of including several photo's from my adventure. I'll await your thoughts vie return post as soon as I receive confirmation of your receipt of this letter. Enjoy!

10,000 kisses,
-- OP

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Briney Spring Gun

New

Post by Briney Spring Gun » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:56 am

North wrote:*OP in thank you card*

During our conversation you mentioned that you thought it was great that I had taken the time to hike the Appalachian Trail during my summer before attending law school. So, I've taken the liberty of including several photo's from my adventure. I'll await your thoughts vie return post as soon as I receive confirmation of your receipt of this letter. Enjoy!

10,000 kisses,
-- OP

Hahaha ok, ok, YOU WIN.

DJ JD

Bronze

Post by DJ JD » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:58 am

Jesus, if you really have the urge to thank the interviewer, why not just send a short email instead of a Hallmark?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:00 am

Don't waste your breath guys. If the OP was seriously contemplating this then he/she is too far gone and there is nothing you guys can do to save him/her.

I'm going to just hope flame.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:13 am

OP here..Thanks all for the replies..idk if this matters but its a public interest job..and the interview was all about personality..I'm still doing the thank you card but with a regular stamp.

I've had dozens proofread what I'm putting in the letter and they all think it's fine.

I don't usually do thank yous at all, not even an email..but for this one I felt inclined.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:15 am

Either send a short and sweet thank you email, or nothing at all. Either is totally fine, but understand that neither help nor hurt you. Its totally a matter of preference. But don't send actual thank you cards (and most certainly not with some kind of tracking label, since then I would think you are very weird in retrospect).

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here..Thanks all for the replies..idk if this matters but its a public interest job..and the interview was all about personality..I'm still doing the thank you card but with a regular stamp.

I've had dozens proofread what I'm putting in the letter and they all think it's fine.

I don't usually do thank yous at all, not even an email..but for this one I felt inclined.
Dozens... as in 24 or more people? To proofread like 6 sentences? I think you're taking the idea of the thank you note a little too far. It holds nowhere near the weight that you attribute to it.

It's fine if you want to send one, but that much time would be better spent on trying to line up more interviews. Don't lose sight of the forest for the trees.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:50 am

You could always Fedex or UPS it. Automatic tracking and the labels on those are expected. Or USPS priority mail. Address it yourself on a regular envelope (don't use the priority mail ones) and then have them put the stamp on when you pay; it'll be a small label that will include your stamp and tracking and will be unobtrusive. (Source: my pops is a postmaster)

That being said, I personally would email without a read receipt.

notgreat

Silver

Post by notgreat » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:06 pm

North wrote:But don't send a thank you card, your interviewer doesn't care

There is no upside
No, the best case is that they are old school as fuck and will appreciate the thank you note, because so few people send them nowadays. I have made a very positive impression on several boomers or near boomers by sending personalized and thoughtful thank you notes. But they should be short emails and a tracking number is fucking insane and weird.

I very rarely send them anymore because the cost benefit doesn't justify sending them, but the bolded ain't true. Most interviewers won't care and really they are often just an opportunity for you to fuck up, but in some cases they are the right move.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

notgreat

Silver

Post by notgreat » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:10 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here..Thanks all for the replies..idk if this matters but its a public interest job..and the interview was all about personality..I'm still doing the thank you card but with a regular stamp.

Dozens... as in 24 or more people? To proofread like 6 sentences? I think you're taking the idea of the thank you note a little too far. It holds nowhere near the weight that you attribute to it.

It's fine if you want to send one, but that much time would be better spent on trying to line up more interviews. Don't lose sight of the forest for the trees.
Also, this.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:02 pm

North wrote:*OP in thank you card*

10,000 kisses,
-- OP

I hate to be a dick dude, but were you not the one who posted a thread asking if you should live within walking distance of your midlaw SA? I'd maybe lay low on calling out people's thread judgment...

OklahomasOK

Bronze

Post by OklahomasOK » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:48 pm

Might as well hire a process server to deliver it.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:56 pm

Op getting bad advice here you 100% do a tracking number. Diligence and attention to detail are perhaps the most important skills an attorney can have, why would you ever squander an opportunity to show you have those abilities?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”