1L Firm Receptions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Firm Receptions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:32 pm

As 1Ls, if you have a 1L SA and a strong resume, is it worth it to attend 1L Firm receptions? How much weight is placed on this?

SicSemperTyrannis

Re: 1L Firm Receptions

Postby SicSemperTyrannis » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:41 pm

Nice humblebrag

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As 1Ls, if you have a 1L SA and a strong resume, is it worth it to attend 1L Firm receptions? How much weight is placed on this?

There is no definitive benefit that comes from attending these. However, there is some soft benefit to general networking, finding out about what different big law attorneys do everyday, and getting a feel for firm culture before OCI. With strong grades/resume perhaps it's extra beneficial because you will have your choice of firms come 2L OCI and this may help you decide between them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:43 pm

There is zero advantage to you in terms of getting a job from attending 1L receptions, whether you already have a job or not. The purpose of these receptions is for you to learn things about the firm. If you feel that you want to learn more about a firm (especially if it's not where you'll be spending your 1L summer), you should attend the reception. If not, don't bother.

banjo

Postby banjo » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:26 pm

I attended a few of these. After each one, I pulled out my phone and emailed myself a few words about the firm. It was somewhat helpful for OCI prep. Beyond that, a couple of firms claim to view attendance as a sign of interest.

I don't see how a 1L SA changes the calculus. These receptions are meant to hype you up for OCI, which a lot of 1L SA kids still do.

gchatbrah

Postby gchatbrah » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:30 pm

Go. There's really no downside; 99% of the time, no one will remember you, you get to enjoy some free food/booze, and you socialize with biglaw attorneys (which is what most people mean by "interview skills" in the first place). 1% of the time you meet someone that gives you a networking leg-up come OCI time -- I know of two people at my CCN who were able to snag V5 2L SA's during the summer before OCI because of connections made at these things.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:32 pm

My firm will occassionally call someone back from these.

Postby 2014 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:59 pm

More important to attend with a strong resume than if you have a very strong resume. Probably a little less important than if you have merely an above average resume.

Don't get me started on transcript, that's another can of worms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:15 pm

Got my V5 SA position pre-OCI through a connection with a partner that I met at one of these events...I know it's relatively rare, but it does happen.

Just my $.02

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:32 pm

Sometimes I wish I could keep going to firm receptions. So much good food, open bar sometimes goes up to blue label.

Talking to attorneys .. Meh.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:16 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Sometimes I wish I could keep going to firm receptions. So much good food, open bar sometimes goes up to blue label.

Talking to attorneys .. Meh.

I heard from people that know more than me that it's an overrated blended whiskey. How's it different from black label?

gchatbrah

Postby gchatbrah » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:31 pm

It's not $200 better than black label, but I think the point was you get to drink $250/bottle booze at these things. That's just absurd.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There is zero advantage to you in terms of getting a job from attending 1L receptions, whether you already have a job or not. The purpose of these receptions is for you to learn things about the firm. If you feel that you want to learn more about a firm (especially if it's not where you'll be spending your 1L summer), you should attend the reception. If not, don't bother.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Maybe it's in my head, but there are at least two offers I've gotten where I've more or less laid an egg during the interview, but wowed enough people during the reception before or after the interview that I've gotten the job regardless.

If you're generally a sociable person, I think there's a lot of benefit to attending these. You have to remember, you're hired by a committee, and not just one person, so there's a lot of benefit to making a positive impression. Unless you're an aspie or alcoholic, I'd say it's generally more worth it than not.

Being a 1L however, I will say I'm not sure about the benefit with regards to 2L OCI (specifically receptions after the firm's 1L class is filled, but well before anyone even thinks about 2L OCI)… but (1) I haven't been there yet and (2) I think it's an easy way to connect with an attorney you click with which is ALWAYS valuable.

I mean, it's either that or cold emailing attorneys for informational interviews.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There is zero advantage to you in terms of getting a job from attending 1L receptions, whether you already have a job or not. The purpose of these receptions is for you to learn things about the firm. If you feel that you want to learn more about a firm (especially if it's not where you'll be spending your 1L summer), you should attend the reception. If not, don't bother.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Maybe it's in my head, but there are at least two offers I've gotten where I've more or less laid an egg during the interview, but wowed enough people during the reception before or after the interview that I've gotten the job regardless.

If you're generally a sociable person, I think there's a lot of benefit to attending these. You have to remember, you're hired by a committee, and not just one person, so there's a lot of benefit to making a positive impression. Unless you're an aspie or alcoholic, I'd say it's generally more worth it than not.

Being a 1L however, I will say I'm not sure about the benefit with regards to 2L OCI (specifically receptions after the firm's 1L class is filled, but well before anyone even thinks about 2L OCI)… but (1) I haven't been there yet and (2) I think it's an easy way to connect with an attorney you click with which is ALWAYS valuable.

I mean, it's either that or cold emailing attorneys for informational interviews.

no it really doesn't add that much value. seriously, ask some actual attorneys who are dragged to attend these things and they'll tell you. on the balance it's more likely attending these events will hurt than help (although it's negligible either way). you might convince yourself that contacts you made at a firm reception mattered for getting an offer somewhere, but they were marginally relevant at best (no matter how "amazing" or "inspiring" you felt your conversation was). still, they are fun, and they might tell you something about the firm, so I tell people to check a few out anyway.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:18 am

I went to every single 1L firm reception mostly for the free booze. It also made answering "so why this firm" during OCI much easier. "Well, I went to the firm's 1L reception earlier this year and . . . "

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:47 am

cookiejar1 wrote:I went to every single 1L firm reception mostly for the free booze. It also made answering "so why this firm" during OCI much easier. "Well, I went to the firm's 1L reception earlier this year and . . . "

This is pretty much the only reason to go, but it's enough. As exhausting as the damn things can be, it'll feel worth it when it comes OCI time and you don't have to struggle quite as hard to bullshit a reason Why Firm X for the 30th time in a week.

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:51 am

I try and ask associates what they do during the day and what is involved in their practice group. It's a good way for me to get info on a practice group I'm considering. It gives me good answer to "why x practice?" since it's hard to really get a picture of it from reading Chambers. Also, I met and chatted with a few associates so far who handle callback interviews at their firms.

Postby 2014 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:06 pm

PSA if you don't bring your resume you're doing it wrong

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:09 pm

2014 wrote:PSA if you don't bring your resume you're doing it wrong

I assume this is a joke, but 1Ls: don't bring your fucking resume.

gchatbrah

Postby gchatbrah » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:18 pm

ymmv wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:I went to every single 1L firm reception mostly for the free booze. It also made answering "so why this firm" during OCI much easier. "Well, I went to the firm's 1L reception earlier this year and . . . "

This is pretty much the only reason to go, but it's enough. As exhausting as the damn things can be, it'll feel worth it when it comes OCI time and you don't have to struggle quite as hard to bullshit a reason Why Firm X for the 30th time in a week.

do most people actually find these exhausting? you talk to like 3-5 people over the course of two hours. you have a bunch of drinks. the end.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:27 pm

gchatbrah wrote:
ymmv wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:I went to every single 1L firm reception mostly for the free booze. It also made answering "so why
this firm" during OCI much easier. "Well, I went to the firm's 1L reception earlier this year and . . . "

do most people actually find these exhausting? you talk to like 3-5 people over the course of two hours. you have a bunch of drinks. the end.

You're talking to some of the most miserable people on planet earth trying desperately to pretend they're fucking ecstatic about their lives, all while attempting to convey just how equally fucking ecstatic you are to hear more about their fake fucking ecstasy.

And then you know you have to do it again, like, thirty times.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:33 pm

Really didn't mind the few that I've been to so far (1L). Free drinks/food and the people are there to answer questions/talk to you. Although occasionally conversation can be super forced for the most part they've been fine to relatively enjoyable.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Really didn't mind the few that I've been to so far (1L). Free drinks/food and the people are there to answer questions/talk to you. Although occasionally conversation can be super forced for the most part they've been fine to relatively enjoyable.

The food and booze do make it a lot more tolerable than it would be otherwise.

gchatbrah

Postby gchatbrah » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:37 pm

ymmv wrote:
gchatbrah wrote:
ymmv wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:I went to every single 1L firm reception mostly for the free booze. It also made answering "so why
this firm" during OCI much easier. "Well, I went to the firm's 1L reception earlier this year and . . . "

You're talking to some of the most miserable people on planet earth trying desperately to pretend they're fucking ecstatic about their lives, all while attempting to convey just how equally fucking ecstatic you are to hear more about their fake fucking ecstasy.

And then you know you have to do it again, like, thirty times.

how're you so unhappy already?

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:39 pm

If you do go, speak with some of the younger associates. A lot of people will try to schmooze with old partners, and there's no way they'll remember/care about you. But if you can create a connection with an associate, it's helpful for EIP, because you can get the inside scoop on the people interviewing you, and you can cite a specific person when talking about all this information you have heard about this firm that makes it the best firm ever. Plus you're way more likely to get a better sense of what it's actually like to work there.

Return to “Legal Employment”