Baker Botts

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Baker Botts

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:45 pm

Reputation of this firm for 1L SA?

ExBiglawAssociate

Re: Baker Botts

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:00 pm

Top firm in Texas.

BearLaw

Postby BearLaw » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Reputation of this firm for 1L SA?

Could you have made the question any broader? What specifically do you want to know? And for what office?

BB is a sold, Texascentric firm that has a good transactional practice, is still fairly solid in litigation for a one of the TX big firms, and is generally very conservative/buttoned up compared to other firms (Especially V&E, Latham if you are in Houston or NYC, even Kirkland). If you have a 1L offer, you are doing pretty well, and should probably seriously consider taking it if you want biglaw.

PM me if you want more specific insight or advice without having to out yourself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:23 pm

I was a 1L summer at BB (and eventually 2L summer). It was a great experience, and I would highly recommend it. Substantive work, fun events, good people.

Your question is a bit vague. If you want more information, provide a more specific question.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:37 pm

I bet it's somehow worse than the reputation for 2LSA's, but better than the reputation for regular associates :roll:

But seriously, this question depends heavily on which office you're referring to. Dallas? Houston? Austin? etc.

I can offer some insight to Dallas and Houston only, but generally I've noticed a general disdain among students and associates for their office culture, which in my opinion has some admittedly exaggerated merit. However, in my frequent encounters with them, I feel like this is something that varies not only office to office, but practice group to practice group as well.

As far as reputation for work, they're very well regarded throughout the state for transactional work (M&A, real estate, tax, and probably some others) as well as IP. They also have a large and pretty reputable commercial litigation practice, if that's what you're gunning for, but buyer's beware re: culture.

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I bet it's somehow worse than the reputation for 2LSA's, but better than the reputation for regular associates :roll:

But seriously, this question depends heavily on which office you're referring to. Dallas? Houston? Austin? etc.

I can offer some insight to Dallas and Houston only, but generally I've noticed a general disdain among students and associates for their office culture, which in my opinion has some admittedly exaggerated merit. However, in my frequent encounters with them, I feel like this is something that varies not only office to office, but practice group to practice group as well.

As far as reputation for work, they're very well regarded throughout the state for transactional work (M&A, real estate, tax, and probably some others) as well as IP. They also have a large and pretty reputable commercial litigation practice, if that's what you're gunning for, but buyer's beware re: culture.

Could you be a little more specific about the culture?
Screamers?
Hours?
Stuffy?
Chilly?

Magnifique1908

Postby Magnifique1908 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Mostly Agree. Can offer insight into Austin. 1L and 2L SA. Culture is totally different in Austin (probably self-explanatory). Feel free to PM.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:29 am

nothingtosee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Could you be a little more specific about the culture?
Screamers?
Hours?
Stuffy?
Chilly?

At V&E in the summer you don't have to wear a tie (usually) cuz it's hot so why would you wear a tie all the time?
At Baker Botts in the summer you always have to wear a tie cuz you're a lawyer, dammit, and lawyers wear ties.

That's how the culture difference was explained to me

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:41 am

I'll add my two cents as a former 1L summer at BB in the Dallas office:

Like others have said, it's one of the big 3 in Texas and if you intend to practice in Texas, it is a great place to be. From my understanding after talking to people who summered in the Houston office, the Dallas office is a little more low key (read as no ties, no jackets during the summer and overall a little less formal). BB has the impression of being a little stuffy, but outside of office hours that is significantly diminished (though V&E is probably more outgoing [at least in Houston]).

For the Dallas office in particular:
Great IP group and strong Lit group. The corporate group might not be as well-regarded as the group in Houston, but it has been making strides in recent years (I will note that it is a more diverse corp. group than the Houston group that focuses more on Oil/Gas/Energy).

Bottom line: if you want to work in Texas, take the 1L offer. Being a summer associate is probably the best job you'll have and if you desire it, you can get a lot out of the experience.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:45 am

K so disregard the tie thing I guess

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:40 pm

Also more grade-selective than comparable Texas firms. They will not hesitate to rescind your offer if your grades drop significantly your 2L year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also more grade-selective than comparable Texas firms. They will not hesitate to rescind your offer if your grades drop significantly your 2L year.

I would argue that V&E is more grade selective, in terms of actually getting interviews, but that's without the context of knowing of any post grade-drop rescissions from either firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also more grade-selective than comparable Texas firms. They will not hesitate to rescind your offer if your grades drop significantly your 2L year.

I would argue that V&E is more grade selective, in terms of actually getting interviews, but that's without the context of knowing of any post grade-drop rescissions from either firm.

I've heard of Baker Botts no-offering at the end of the summer for grade-related reasons (happened to someone I knew), but I haven't heard of them outright rescinding an SA offer. They apparently just have a very strict cutoff, and if you fall below that cutoff, you're fucked. Does anyone know if V&E checks 2L/3L transcripts or no offers for grades?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:36 pm

Any thoughts on DC or NY? Currently midlaw, interested in support office stigma, but culture/ strengths/ weakness info would be equally appreciated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on DC or NY? Currently midlaw, interested in support office stigma, but culture/ strengths/ weakness info would be equally appreciated.

I'm in DC and work regularly with a few folks in NY - culture is going to depend a lot on the practice group, but I don't think either office is a support office for Texas. Both originate their own work and are self sustaining.

Gunnnars

Postby Gunnnars » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Current BB associate. BB has a more conservative attitude overall and most of their rainmakers left a few years back. The firm is struggling. Unless you are really into wearing ties and pretending to be more important than others (the culture has historically been that BB was the "top" in Houston and so BB associates were "better" than other associates, which has reversed in recent years as all the rainmakers left and went to the new NYC firms in Houston, but you can imagine the type of personalities that would attract) I would avoid.

Return to “Legal Employment”