Value of living within walking-ish distance of SA office

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which would you do

$2,000-ish per month, and you're walking-distance from everything
36%
$650-ish per month, but you have to drive, unknown traffic but probably bad -- let's say 30 minutes, park, and uber home after drinking, etc.
64%

Total votes: 28

North

Value of living within walking-ish distance of SA office

Postby North » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:13 pm

I'm working in a city where the rent prices for a 3-ish month lease drop off by a TON when you get away from the downtown part. What's it worth to be walking distance from your office for an SA? I think it'd be pretty sweet to live in the city and might be good to be 5 minutes away from the office for whatever reason, but I don't know if it's extra ~$1,400 per month for 3.5 months good

Calvin Murphy

Re: Value of living within walking-ish distance of SA office

Postby Calvin Murphy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:24 pm

Part of it has to depend on the city. In Chicago, for instance, the most expensive apartments are in Streeterville/The Loop, w/in walking distance of firms...but you'll potentially do a good deal of your drinking/going out 20-30 minutes away from where you work.

BearLaw

Postby BearLaw » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:34 pm

My gut says that that savings is worth the difference, especially considering the firm will cover cabs/uber and you are not likely to do all your drinking within waling distance of the office.

Also, what city (I am guessing not NYC based on the prices). There are a lot of places (Houston, Dallas, ATL, the south more or less) where you do not want to be walking any real distance in business/business casual clothes because you will show up looking like you wore them in the shower.

Also, are these the only options? I would see if there was someplace closer to split the difference, there is still a lot of time before the summer.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:36 pm

I'd drive. If this is chicago, definitely don't live in the loop. It sucks massive cock.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:20 pm

Drive, unless parking at the office is a mess.

I lived walking distance from work as a SA. I dreamed of walking or at the least biking. The problem: it's 100 degrees and 80% humidity in the summer, and on the days it's not broiling, it's storming.

v5junior

Postby v5junior » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:45 pm

It's a pretty subjective question.

Personally, (a) commuting ~30-45 minutes doesn't bother me very much, (b) I like the psychological separation from work, (c) I strongly prefer neighborhoods to the one my office is located in, and (d) price matters to me b/c of exorbitant loan payments.

Other associates I work with have a visceral reaction to the idea of not being able to walk to work. Although I think as a summer associate this is probably less of a concern?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:44 pm

If you can, I think you should live in an area where other associates and summers live. This is probably not the closest area to the office and it's probably not the cheap ass place you're thinking of as an alternative. It's probably somewhere reasonably fun and slightly more affordable. That way you actually get to live for a few months in a neighborhood that you realistically might want to live in as an associate.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:49 pm

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, be the guy/girl who lives far away from everyone else during the summer and uses it as an excuse/reason to not be part of the social outings. We have had plenty of summer associates come into our office and decide to live with family/friends and commute 40-60 minutes every day. Inevitably, that person is more tired and always leaving events early. Believe me when I say this, a lot of bonding and mentoring happens at the social events and the after-parties. Keep that in mind if you decide to live far away.

(However, if you're living near a place where the bars/social events are happening, then not a big deal if having a commute. But if the social events are near the office, then that's when it will be difficult to live so far away.)

Postby 2014 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:12 pm

Doesn't matter as a summer its a 9-5 job for the most part and there's no reason you can't manage a 20-30 min commute. Youll probably be able to expense most cabs home returning from social events too and no one cares if your cab bill is $16 instead of $12 or whatever.

North

Postby North » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:53 pm

desertlaw wrote:Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, be the guy/girl who lives far away from everyone else during the summer and uses it as an excuse/reason to not be part of the social outings. We have had plenty of summer associates come into our office and decide to live with family/friends and commute 40-60 minutes every day. Inevitably, that person is more tired and always leaving events early. Believe me when I say this, a lot of bonding and mentoring happens at the social events and the after-parties. Keep that in mind if you decide to live far away.

(However, if you're living near a place where the bars/social events are happening, then not a big deal if having a commute. But if the social events are near the office, then that's when it will be difficult to live so far away.)

Yeah this is pretty much what I'm worried about. I'm pretty aspie as it is and I'd hate to compound that with a built in excuse to gtfo.

2014 wrote:Doesn't matter as a summer its a 9-5 job for the most part and there's no reason you can't manage a 20-30 min commute. Youll probably be able to expense most cabs home returning from social events too and no one cares if your cab bill is $16 instead of $12 or whatever.

But then there's this thought that makes me want to pocket that extra 4 grand to put towards probably an open bar wedding

bdubs wrote:If you can, I think you should live in an area where other associates and summers live.

Yeah I'm going to email the SA coordinator guy to get this info.

North

Postby North » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:54 pm

This is in the South, btw

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:48 am

its definitely not worth $4500 IMO.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:03 pm

Save the $ and live a little further out. Use said saved $ to impress lady North when she visits. I think firms will know students want to save money and live little bit out and so it won't be weird to live 20/30 mins away. Also, you're conscious of not wanting to be the SA who never shows because they live too far so you're already ahead of the game.

All of this changes if you find some sick city apartment that's like an abandoned wharehouse like the movies or something.

Return to “Legal Employment”