Compelling situation...addendum appropriate?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Compelling situation...addendum appropriate?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:17 pm

1L at a T2 school, above median. I started off the semester strong and mid November, my dad became really sick. My priorities changed, and I couldn't give studying or exams my all. No Cs but no As either. BigLaw is a dream of mine, and I've applied everywhere but haven't heard back yet. Is it worth it to send a brief addendum to these firms explaining what happened? If so, should I send it to the recruiter or a partner? From what I understand, compelling reasons can be a factor when they take into account grades

AReasonableMan

Re: Compelling situation...addendum appropriate?

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1L at a T2 school, above median. I started off the semester strong and mid November, my dad became really sick. My priorities changed, and I couldn't give studying or exams my all. No Cs but no As either. BigLaw is a dream of mine, and I've applied everywhere but haven't heard back yet. Is it worth it to send a brief addendum to these firms explaining what happened? If so, should I send it to the recruiter or a partner? From what I understand, compelling reasons can be a factor when they take into account grades

I also had these kind of distractions as a 1L, but was a bad son with the idea I'll spend the next 2 years and rest of my life being a better son and human being. In all honesty the pressure of exams allowed me to focus better on school than I did day to day, and stuff like family illness provided an academic benefit by finding situations I can control, like exams, relaxing.

Nobody will doubt that your father's illness somewhat impacted your grades, but nobody knows how much it did either. If you had a 4.0 GPA and a weaker GPA then maybe the addendum would help. But presently the addendum hardly suggests you would have a 4.0. The reality is assuming you're not a URM you would need to be tippy top of the class to have any shot at a 1L SA from a T2. If I was a recruiter I might find the addendum weird. My job is to contact people above a cutoff, and now someone is making this process very personal. Generally at an interview you may even make the interviewer uncomfortable by discussing this stuff, because this individual doesn't know you. However, you may get more leeway if you get asked what challenges you overcame. I'd focus on getting a much better GPA now, and then if they ask about it your jump you can mention it. Hope your dad is ok.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:52 pm

To be honest, I think an employment addendum is a bit odd. Addenda are really admissions things. If you were going to address grades in a job app I would think you'd just talk about it in the cover letter, but it's not an easy thing to bring up in the employment context (until/unless asked about it in an interview, of course).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:54 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1L at a T2 school, above median. I started off the semester strong and mid November, my dad became really sick. My priorities changed, and I couldn't give studying or exams my all. No Cs but no As either. BigLaw is a dream of mine, and I've applied everywhere but haven't heard back yet. Is it worth it to send a brief addendum to these firms explaining what happened? If so, should I send it to the recruiter or a partner? From what I understand, compelling reasons can be a factor when they take into account grades

I also had these kind of distractions as a 1L, but was a bad son with the idea I'll spend the next 2 years and rest of my life being a better son and human being. In all honesty the pressure of exams allowed me to focus better on school than I did day to day, and stuff like family illness provided an academic benefit by finding situations I can control, like exams, relaxing.

Nobody will doubt that your father's illness somewhat impacted your grades, but nobody knows how much it did either. If you had a 4.0 GPA and a weaker GPA then maybe the addendum would help. But presently the addendum hardly suggests you would have a 4.0. The reality is assuming you're not a URM you would need to be tippy top of the class to have any shot at a 1L SA from a T2. If I was a recruiter I might find the addendum weird. My job is to contact people above a cutoff, and now someone is making this process very personal. Generally at an interview you may even make the interviewer uncomfortable by discussing this stuff, because this individual doesn't know you. However, you may get more leeway if you get asked what challenges you overcame. I'd focus on getting a much better GPA now, and then if they ask about it your jump you can mention it. Hope your dad is ok.

Thank you for responding. I feel the same way- it'd be weird for sure, but I am a minority who recognizes as LGBT and a lot of these were diversity fellowships or LCLD scholar type opportunities with a presumption of personal attached to the application process- I wasn't sure if that changes things or not. I guess I wanted to turn it into less of an excuse and more of learning experience and realization- that I'd work hard to prove myself. Maybe it is desperate but it just seems essential in getting to know what kind of student I was first semester

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:57 pm

I can see that in the fellowship/scholar context it might make more sense. I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with how those work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:01 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I can see that in the fellowship/scholar context it might make more sense. I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with how those work.

Thanks- yeah really torn. Maybe I should ask a prof

Return to “Legal Employment”